Monday, February 27, 2017

Morning Moments with God, Day 31

             Image result for Book of Matthew

Day 31: Great Faith

Please read the Bible verse for today:
Matthew 8: 5-12

The Faith of the Centurion

When Jesus had entered Capernaum, a centurion came to him, asking for help. “Lord,” he said, “my servant lies at home paralyzed, suffering terribly.”
Jesus said to him, “Shall I come and heal him?”
The centurion replied, “Lord, I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. But just say the word, and my servant will be healed. For I myself am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. I tell this one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and that one, ‘Come,’ and he comes. I say to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.”
10 When Jesus heard this, he was amazed and said to those following him, “Truly I tell you, I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith. 11 I say to you that many will come from the east and the west,and will take their places at the feast with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven. 12 But the subjects of the kingdom will be thrown outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.”
13 Then Jesus said to the centurion, “Go! Let it be done just as you believed it would.” And his servant was healed at that moment.

 When Jesus had entered Capernaum, a centurion came to him, asking for help. “Lord,” he said, “My servant lies at home paralyzed, suffering terribly.”
Jesus said to him, “Shall I come and heal him?” 

 A Roman centurion was, "an officer commanding a Roman century" according to Merriam-Webster. What is a century? According to Wikipedia, "A centurion was a professional officer of the Roman army after the Marian reforms of 107 BC. Most centurions commanded groups of centuries of around 80 men but senior centurions commanded cohorts or took senior staff roles in their legion." What is a legion? "Roman legion was the largest unit of the Roman army involving from 3000 men in early times to over 5200 men in imperial times, consisting of centuries as the basic units." So, this centurion, who came before Jesus, could have been over 80 men and up to 5200 men! This very centurion who is talking to Jesus is the real deal. A real Roman solider, captain, colonel guy. He stands and gives his life for Rome. He believes Ceaser is god. And he has been called to fight and kill many people for Ceasar. I would have been pretty scared to meet him. With all of his credentials you would think he would have sent a servant or lower soldier to talk to Jesus, but he himself approaches Jesus and talks with Him. May we have the same boldness, under the blood of Jesus, to boldly enter the Holy of Holies and talk with Jesus.

The centurion tells Jesus, "My servant lies at home paralyzed, suffering terribly." I love that this centurion cares about his servant. I love that in his desperation he seeks out Jesus. And I LOVE how Jesus responds, "Shall I come and heal him?" Jesus is willing. (Just what we read in Matthew 8:1-4. The Leper asked Jesus, "Are you willing/" and Jesus replies, "I am willing." So, now Jesus is with a man that is not Jewish and He is still willing to perform a miracle.

"The centurion replied, “Lord, I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. But just say the word, and my servant will be healed. For I myself am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. I tell this one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and that one, ‘Come,’ and he comes. I say to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.” This guy is awesome! He equates his own authority on earth with Jesus' authority in the Heavens. Now maybe this centurion thought Jesus would send a disciple to heal his servant or maybe he knew that Jesus was from God and could command angels and miracles just by his words. Either way, his faith in Jesus is pretty amazing.

10 "When Jesus heard this, he was amazed and said to those following him, “Truly I tell you, I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith. 11 I say to you that many will come from the east and the west,and will take their places at the feast with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven. 12 But the subjects of the kingdom will be thrown outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.” Jesus is saying that within His own people, the Jewish people, He hasn't seen as much faith as in this pagan. This man, this centurion, has more faith in Jesus than the people who have read the Torah. Those that have been praying and waiting for the Messiah! And then Jesus declares it- 'many will come from the east and west,' people will come from all over the world and receive Jesus as their Lord and Savior- as their Messiah, and feast in heaven with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. No longer is salvation only offered to Israel, but to the world. But his own, the Jewish people who do not accept him, will not enter the kingdom of heaven. On one hand it is exciting to see that Jesus had come for the world, but on the other hand, how sad for those who do not believe on the name of Jesus.

 13 "Then Jesus said to the centurion, “Go! Let it be done just as you believed it would.” And his servant was healed at that moment." Jesus SPOKE healing. He just said the words and it was accomplished, 'at that moment.' No waiting. No begging God. Done!

Pray with me:
Jesus, I pray that I would have faith like this centurion and more! Forgive me of my faithlessness. Forgive me for doubting. Help me to know you. Help me to see you. Place in me a hunger to seek you every moment of every day. Help me to live for you. In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment