Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Morning Moments with God-Day 27

                                 Image result for Book of Matthew

Day 27: False Prophets are Real

Please read the Bible verse for today:
Matthew 7:15-20

True and False Prophets

15 “Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. 16 By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles?17 Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.
At the end of chapter six in the book of Matthew, Jesus tells us, "Do not worry" -to trust Him. In chapter seven in the book of Matthew, Jesus tells us to, "Ask, seek, knock and also about entering the narrow gate. Jesus has set out the truth for us to know Him. In today's reading, He prepares us for what could happen on the narrow road.
"Watch out for false prophets." Jesus could not have been more clear, "Watch out for false prophets." I remember I was sitting in my Bible study class, a few years ago, and this Scripture came up. The ladies were talking with one another about how there are no longer 'false prophets' in our day to worry about. I was shocked. How can anyone read this verse, "Watch out for false prophets," and think that Jesus was only talking about way back in His own day? Nowhere in this verse does He say to stop watching for false prophets. Read the Scripture with your eyes open. Read it and hear what Jesus is saying- "Watch out!"
After arguing with them some, they moved onto the next verse: "They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves." One lady said, "What in the world does that mean?" So, I explained that a false prophet will come into the church or your life or work place looking like a Christian, a holy and God fearing person, but in their hearts they are there to deceive you. I couldn't convince one person. So, I told them my story of how I met, in 1991, a false prophet. 
She, the false prophet, came into our church, with her husband, two children and best friend. She looked normal. She mingled and talked with the other women and was accepted by most. She attended every prayer meeting and prayed Scriptures. On Sunday mornings she would stand up and hail out a prophecy. She looked like a, 'sheep.' She acted like a, 'sheep.' She was accepted as a, 'sheep.' But she a ferocious wolf. She was a leader of a cult. She came into our church looking to destroy it and win over the members for herself. Although she did not take over the church, she did win a few members. My family and I were some of them. 
One day I will write out the whole story, but for today I will share that the day I tried to escape the cult, she took off her sheep costume and revealed the wolf that she is. She turned my own family against me and planned my murder. 
The Scripture is true for today. Don't think that it cannot happen. Don't change the Scripture to give yourself a false sense of safety. Pray to be wise. Pray for eyes to see what Jesus would have us to see- the wolf. Pray to be the one who stands on the wall and watches over the church. 
"By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles?17 Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them." Before I said, "she was accepted by most." Those that didn't accept her, later said, "She was weird." Some said, "There was something about her that scared me." Some people sensed the wolf, but didn't do anything. They were noticing her, the false prophet of our church, fruit. They didn't investigate, they just stayed away from her. 
Pray with me:
Jesus thank you for your Word that is true today, tomorrow and into eternity. Thank you for your warning. Help me to be on guard. Help me to resist passivity. Help me to have a heart for others to protect them. Help me to stand and pray. Jesus, help me to not be over taken by the 'sheep in wolves clothing.' Help me, Holy Spirit to discern your truth. In Jesus' name, Amen.

To read more about how the, 'sheep in wolves clothing' pierced my life: 



No comments:

Post a Comment