Monday, February 13, 2017

Book of Matthew: Morning Moments with God, Day 21


                                 Image result for Book of Matthew
Day 21: Jesus, you are First!

Please take time to read the Bible verses for today.
Matthew 6: 19- 21

Treasures in Heaven (NIV)

19 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

 Jesus knew and knows how hard it would be and is for us to live on this earth, with HGTV, Martha Stewart, and the many commercials bombarding us day in and day out with all the things we NEED to be happy. There are days in my life where I am quite content, but then I walk through a 'Tuesday Morning' shop and desire new things for my house. I have to fight myself not to buy things I don't need and fight to remain content with what I have. 

I believe Jesus is reminding us or cautioning against greed or hoarding or love of the things of this world not because it's so very bad in and of itself, but more to say, Love God more than anything this world has to offer. God is desiring us to put Him first in every area of our lives. 

My grandfather was a 'Depression' baby. He was born during the time of the Great Depression and grew up in poverty. He was a wonderful man, but the want in his young life impacted him greatly. I remember his attic. It was filled and organized like a grocery store. He had an abundance of paper towels, toilet paper, canned goods, Christmas decorations of all shapes and sizes and more. He was ready. If there was another 'Depression' he would not go hungry. He stored up things of this earth, instead of trusting the Lord. His fear had him chasing 'things' instead of chasing God to bring him peace. I love him and have the greatest respect and compassion for him, I just hope he knew Jesus while he was here.

Mark 10: 19-25
21 Jesus looked at him and loved him. “One thing you lack,” he said. “Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”
22 At this the man’s face fell. He went away sad, because he had great wealth.
23 Jesus looked around and said to his disciples, “How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God!”
24 The disciples were amazed at his words. But Jesus said again, “Children, how hard it is to enter the kingdom of God! 25 It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.”
1 Timothy 6:9-10
Those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. 10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs."
Hebrews 13:5
Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said,
“Never will I leave you;
    never will I forsake you.”

Jesus is not condemning us for our love of this world, He is simply and gently telling us or even reminding us that to be in love with Him is far better than anything this world has to offer. I am by no means perfect at being content, but in seeking Him each day, being still and waiting on Him has brought so much joy, freedom and life in to my life that I find I'm not sitting around pining over all that I do not have and wish I had. 

Pray with me:
Jesus, thank you for loving me so much that you remind me to put things aside so I can focus on you- who is my EVERYTHING! I love you with all my heart. Help me to choose you again and again and again! Amen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment