Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Morning Moments with God: Day 92

                            Image result for Book of Matthew

Day 92: Make a Decision

Please read the Bible verses for today:
Matthew 21:28-32

The Parable of the Two Sons

28 “What do you think? There was a man who had two sons. He went to the first and said, ‘Son, go and work today in the vineyard.’
29 “‘I will not,’ he answered, but later he changed his mind and went.
30 “Then the father went to the other son and said the same thing. He answered, ‘I will, sir,’ but he did not go.
31 “Which of the two did what his father wanted?” (Matthew 21:28-31)
In yesterday's reading, Matthew 21:23-27, we read that the chief priests and the teacher's of the law questioned Jesus' authority in front of the crowd Jesus was teaching. In today's reading, we find that the chief priests and the teacher's of the law are still standing there. This story and this lesson was for them. 
Jesus is saying, I have two sons: 
The first son, a Hebrew, said he would not do what God asked him to do, but later did it. This son represents a Hebrew who was living in sin, but in the end turned his life to Jesus.
The second son, a Hebrew, said he would do what God asked him to do, but later did not do it. This son represents the Pharisees, Sadducees, chief priests, teachers of the law. They say they will carry out the heart of the law, the heart of God, but they do not do it. They do not repent and give their lives to Jesus.  
“The first,” they answered.
Jesus said to them, Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you. 32 For John came to you to show you the way of righteousness, and you did not believe him, but the tax collectors and the prostitutes did. And even after you saw this, you did not repent and believe him." (Matthew 21:31b-32)
Yesterday, I shared that Jesus was not afraid of the authority in His day. He boldly confronted them. Today, He confronts them even harsher. He told these 'holy men of God' that the prostitutes and tax collectors are entering Heaven ahead of them! Jesus' words must have outraged them and shamed them in front of the crowd. But Jesus wasn't afraid of their response. He wasn't afraid of what they would do or say. He knew the truth. He spoke the truth with no fear. 
Pray with me:
Jesus, I pray that will be a child of yours that says yes to you and obeys you. Help me, Lord, to hear your voice, repent, and live for you.  Keep me close to your heart. Jesus, I also pray that I will not be afraid of authority. Help me to stand and speak the truth and trust you for my protection. I love you Jesus and want to live my life in honor of you. In Jesus' Name, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment