Monday, May 29, 2017

Morning Moments with God: Day 91


                            Image result for Book of Matthew
Day 91:

Please read the Bible verses for today:
Matthew 21:23-27

The Authority of Jesus Questioned

23 Jesus entered the temple courts, and, while he was teaching, the chief priests and the elders of the people came to him. “By what authority are you doing these things?” they asked. “And who gave you this authority?” (Matthew 21:23)
Every time I read the Scriptures and the chief priests and the elders, or Sadducees and Pharisees walk onto the scene, my stomach drops. I know how Jesus' story ends. I know what they do to Jesus. I know how they turn the minds of the people. I know they have evil intent towards Jesus and I feel sick. I also know that I have struggled most of my life with the fear of authority. Fearing their power over me and how they can change my life in an instant if they wanted to. The authority in my life growing up, IE. my father could upset my life any given day of the week. His rage was random, never predictable. His punishments much like his rage. Most days it was verbal abuse, some physical, but one day when I was thirteen it changed. He kicked me out of the house. He threw me out of the house for not finishing my chore. I hadn't known that he would or could do that. The one security I had was my bedroom and it was gone. My life was changed in a moment. My fear of authority grew. Eventually, I was taken back home, but I was different. I know I still struggle with the fear of authority to some extent, but God has set me free from much of it. 
Jesus is never afraid of authority. Jesus knew their plans to have Him killed and He was still not afraid of them. He knew the truth- He was their authority and they could do nothing to Jesus that was not already planned by the Father. I need to remember that Jesus is my ultimate authority and He stands with me. I do not need or should not fear man for God is with me.
24 "Jesus replied, I will also ask you one question. If you answer me, I will tell you by what authority I am doing these things. 25 John’s baptism—where did it come from? Was it from heaven, or of human origin?”
They discussed it among themselves and said, “If we say, ‘From heaven,’ he will ask, ‘Then why didn’t you believe him?’ 26 But if we say, ‘Of human origin’—we are afraid of the people, for they all hold that John was a prophet.”
27 So they answered Jesus, “We don’t know.”
Then he said, Neither will I tell you by what authority I am doing these things."(Matthew 21:24-27)
Calm and cool, Jesus says, "Neither will I tell you by what authority I am doing these things." He's awesome! He probably went right back to teaching the people without worrying a bit about the teachers of the law thought of Him. They were like mosquitoes - they buzzed around you, He shooed them away, and He continued with His day. 
Pray with me:
Father, forgive me for my fear of man, my fear of authority. Help me to trust that you are with me day in and day out. That you stand with me. That nothing will happen to me outside of your plan for my life. Help me to trust you no matter what 'authority' says or does to me, I am in the palm of your hands. You protect me and have a plan for my life that is safe and good. In Jesus' Name, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment