Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Morning Moments with God: Day 77

                                 Image result for Book of Matthew
Day 77: Jesus is My Papa Bear

Please read the Bible verses for today:
Matthew 18:6-9

Causing to Stumble

If anyone causes one of these little ones—those who believe in me—to stumble, it would be better for them to have a large millstone hung around their neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea." (Matthew 18:6) 

First, "...little ones- those who believe in me-" The verses right before this one, Matthew 18:1-4, Jesus told His disciples in order to be the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven one must be like a little child. In verse 6 Jesus calls us His 'little ones.' If you believe that Jesus is the Son of God than you are His 'little one.' I love it! I love Jesus' affection for us!
Second, which is the whole point of this verse: "If anyone causes one of these little ones - those who believe in me- to stumble, it would be better for them to have a large millstone hung around their neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea." (Matthew 18:6) Below are two pictures of millstones. The first one is to show how big a 'large' millstone can be. The second picture is to show how it was used. A millstone ground up the wheat or grain.

Image result for millstone

Image result for millstone

I remember the first time I read this verse. I remember thinking that Jesus was literally talking about children, not children or adults with child-like faith. My thoughts were about the different people who hurt me as a child and how they were now in trouble with Jesus! I remember thinking how scary their judgment would be and I began praying for them to turn from their evil ways.
Today, as I read this verse, I see Jesus as my 'Papa Bear.' Jesus is saying, if anyone leads His own 'little ones' into sin they are in mighty trouble. Jesus is protective of us. Jesus will avenge our enemies for us. (I thought I was a 'mama bear' over my children, but I've got nothing on Jesus!)

7 "Woe to the world because of the things that cause people to stumble! Such things must come, but woe to the person through whom they come! If your hand or your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life maimed or crippled than to have two hands or two feet and be thrown into eternal fire. And if your eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into the fire of hell." (Matthew 18:7-9)
Jesus is clear- really clear- in these verses about getting rid of sin. If you have a sin that keeps coming up in your life- get rid of it! I truly believe Jesus is saying figuratively, 'if your hand or foot causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away' -do whatever you need to, to stop sinning. With the sin in my life, I have asked Jesus for forgiveness and pray for Him to change my heart and move in the direction away from that sin. I have overcome much with Jesus! I am one of Jesus' 'little ones' so I will never wear a millstone around my neck, but I think this Scripture shows how Jesus views sin and the punishment for it. If you or someone you know is not one of Jesus' 'little ones'- pray to know Him and be set free.

Pray with me:
Jesus, forgive me for my sin of gossip, keeping a record of wrong, unforgiveness towards myself and others, anger...Help me Jesus to love others as you love them.  I pray for those in my life that do not know you-who do not believe in you. Lord, make yourself known to him/her. Woe them, as you did me, into the Kingdom of Heaven. Help me too to be bold to share my love for you with them. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment