Monday, May 8, 2017

Morning Moments with God: Day 81 Matthew 19

                            Image result for Book of Matthew
Day 81: Jesus Heals Marriages

Please read the Bible verses for today:
Matthew 19:1-12

Divorce

19 "When Jesus had finished saying these things, he left Galilee and went into the region of Judea to the other side of the Jordan. Large crowds followed him, and he healed them there." (Matthew 19:1-2)
Jesus never tired of teaching, and healing.Everywhere He went crowds followed Him and He treated everyone the same- He talked with them and healed them. He never said, 'I'm too tired. Go away and come back tomorrow.' He always allowed and welcomed the people to come and be healed. There's a lesson in that for us. Jesus beckons US to come and be healed. 
3 "Some Pharisees came to him to test him. They asked, “Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any and every reason?”
Haven’t you read,” he replied, that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’ and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’? So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.” (Matthew 19:3-6)
I love that Jesus starts with, 'Haven't you read...' Jesus was being tested by the Pharisees, teachers of the law. They should know the answer and Jesus knew that they did. He was aware of their scheme to trick Him. 
“Why then,” they asked, “did Moses command that a man give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?”
Jesus replied, Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning. I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.” (Matthew 19:7-9) 
Jesus says that He allowed divorce because 'your hearts were hard.' I cannot imagine how, if anything, has changed in the heart of man, but Jesus changes the law concerning marriage right in front of them. " I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.” (Matthew 19:9)

10 The disciples said to him, “If this is the situation between a husband and wife, it is better not to marry.”
11 Jesus replied, Not everyone can accept this word, but only those to whom it has been given. 12 For there are eunuchs who were born that way, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by others—and there are those who choose to live like eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it.” (Matthew 19:10-12)
I believe Jesus is saying that it is good to marry, but there are cases where someone cannot.

Pray with me:
Father, Jesus, thank you for always welcoming me to come and be healed. I pray for my marriage and the marriages of my friends today. I pray that my husband and I will grow ever closer. I pray for forgiveness for the things that I have said and done to hurt him and I pray he will forgive me. Heal his heart. I pray that you will heal my heart too. Lord, make us one. One in mind, and heart. Give us your vision for our marriage and help us to walk in it. I lift up my friends too, that you will bring healing to their marriage. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment