Friday, May 26, 2017

Morning Moments with God: Day 90

                           Image result for Book of Matthew
Day 90: Only Believe

Please read the Bible verses for today:
Matthew 21:18-22

Jesus Curses a Fig Tree

18 "Early in the morning, as Jesus was on his way back to the city, he was hungry. 19 Seeing a fig tree by the road, he went up to it but found nothing on it except leaves. Then he said to it, May you never bear fruit again!” Immediately the tree withered." (Matthew 21:18-19)
In reading the commentary, I found that the fig tree was perhaps symbolic of the teachers of the law, Pharisees, and Sadducees. They were like the fig tree in that they represented something that should bear fruit, but they had nothing holy to offer. They appeared to be wise and holy, but they bore no good 'fruit' in keeping with the heart of the law. This story symbolizes their future for the sins they have committed -rejecting Jesus as Messiah. I know it's hard to think of Jesus as Judge, but He is and He will judge us and our heart. We will stand before Him on the day we die and He will ask us if we believe that Jesus is the Son of God. There will be death for some and life for others. He has given us each a chance to know Him and accept Him. Pray to know Him, not our of fear of eternal death, but for the desire to know life!
20 "When the disciples saw this, they were amazed. “How did the fig tree wither so quickly?” they asked.
21 Jesus replied, Truly I tell you, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and it will be done. 22 If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.” (Matthew 21:20-22)
Yes, I would have been amazed to see the fig tree curl up and die right in front of my eyes, but I think I would have asked Jesus, 'Why did you curse that tree?' I would have wanted to understand everything Jesus was doing and learn all that I could, but the disciples asked a different question-"How did the fig tree wither so quickly?" It's funny that they have been with Jesus day and night for three years watching miracle after miracle. Blind, see. Deaf, hear. Lame, walk. Shriveled hand, made new. Demon-possessed, set free. And yet, they are surprised at the fig tree shriveling up! But, I will say, I am glad they asked Jesus what they did because I LOVE Jesus' response. Truly I tell you if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and it will be done. 22 If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.” (Matthew 21:20-22) If I believe, I will receive whatever I ask for in prayer. Lord, help my unbelief. 
Pray with me:
Jesus, you say in your Word, 22 If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.” (Matthew 21:22) Jesus, I lift up my precious friend Kelly and pray for the clot to be removed and for her whole body to be healed in Jesus' name. Jesus, I lift up my friend Debbie and pray for a new liver for her and for her to be healed, in Jesus' name. Jesus, I lift up my friend Andrea and pray for her freedom from cancer in Jesus' name. Jesus, I pray for my friend Amy to be set free from migraines in Jesus' name. Jesus, I pray for my friend Alyssa's boyfriend Jason. Raise him up from his coma, restore his brain, and his body, in Jesus' name. Jesus, I pray for my son, give him the victory his heart his yearning for today. Father, I cry out to you for my precious friends and son and pray for the release of healing over their bodies.  Heal them that they may know your love and compassion and that you may receive all the glory for their miraculous healing! In Jesus Name, Amen.
I encourage you to pray for all the things on your heart. Give them to Jesus and believe that what you ask for will be answered. 

No comments:

Post a Comment