Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Morning Moments with God: Day 72

                                       Image result for Book of Matthew
Day 72: Jesus is Who He Says He Is

Please read the Bible verses for today:
Matthew 17: 1-13

The Transfiguration

17 "After six days Jesus took with him Peter, James, and John the brother of James, and led them up a high mountain by themselves.There he was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and his clothes became as white as the light. Just then there appeared before them Moses and Elijah, talking with Jesus." (Matthew 17:1-3)
This story takes place six days after, 'Peter Declares That Jesus is the Messiah,' Matthew 16:13-20 and 'Jesus Predicts His Death,' Matthew 16:21-28. In both of those stories, Jesus told the apostles that He is the Son of God, the Messiah and how He will be die and rise again. I wonder if they struggled with what Jesus told them. I wonder if it had sunk in that Jesus was GOD in the six days after He told them. I wonder if it was all beginning to fit together: the things they felt in their heart, with the things they saw Jesus doing along with what Jesus had said to them. In today's story, Jesus took with Him, Peter, James, and John up a high mountain and was transfigured before them. Jesus didn't have to take anyone with Him up that mountain. He could have gone alone for a quiet time, but He took the three apostles that He trusted and allowed them to see the absolutely, most amazing thing they or anyone since then would ever see! Jesus transfigured, Jesus in His heavenly form, on earth!!! "His face shone like the sun, and his clothes became as white as the light." (Matthew 17:2b) I honestly, cannot imagine witnessing it. I think I would have fallen to the ground, prostrate, and been quiet and still, but not Peter...
4 "Peter said to Jesus, “Lord, it is good for us to be here. If you wish, I will put up three shelters—one for you, one for Moses and one for Elijah.” (Matthew 17:4) How funny is Peter? He speaks like this is a totally normal event, and that Elijah and Moses have come down from heaven to camp on the side of a mountain with them for days. I think he's cute, but not really understanding the power of the moment. 
5" While he was still speaking, a bright cloud covered them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him, I am well pleased. Listen to him!” (Matthew 17:5) "While he was still speaking..." Peter was still rambling on and on with what he could do for Jesus, Elijah, and Moses, that GOD HAD TO CUT HIM OFF! Peter apparently didn't see a 'bright cloud covering them' and close his mouth. God had to begin talking to wake Peter up from seeing all of this as a casual event and get him to see it as it really was- a one-hundred percent God moment! I personally feel like Peter many times. I not quick to see the supernatural in my own life. Many times, when I am going through a difficult time and I am praying day in and day out for a release, I fail to see all the little things God is doing for my freedom. I get overwhelmed by what I can see, that I don't see what God is up to. So, what does God say to Peter, James and John? "This is my Son, whom I love; with him, I am well pleased. Listen to him!” (Matthew 17:5b) If the apostles had, had any doubt who Jesus was, this should have killed all and any doubt. His transfiguration AND God the Father speaking directly to them from a cloud, should really have made it all very clear. How amazing is Jesus, God, for allowing them to be a part of His transfiguration! I would like to think that they never forgot it. I'd like to think that it was this event that helped them get through Jesus' death and resurrection and ascension. I've never had a God moment like they did, but I have had God encounters in my life and when I think back on what Jesus has done for me I have the faith to keep on going.
6 "When the disciples heard this, they fell facedown to the ground, terrified. But Jesus came and touched them. Get up,” he said. Don’t be afraid.” When they looked up, they saw no one except Jesus." (Matthew 17:6-8) Now that seems more like it..."they fell facedown to the ground, terrified." They got it! They understood the holiness of the moment. I love that Jesus tells them, "Don't be afraid," because it seems like the right thing to be, but Jesus assures them that it's all going to be okay, (as He always does). 
9 "As they were coming down the mountain, Jesus instructed them, “Don’t tell anyone what you have seen, until the Son of Man has been raised from the dead.”
10 The disciples asked him, “Why then do the teachers of the law say that Elijah must come first?”
11 Jesus replied, To be sure, Elijah comes and will restore all things.12 But I tell you, Elijah has already come, and they did not recognize him, but have done to him everything they wished. In the same way the Son of Man is going to suffer at their hands. 13 Then the disciples understood that he was talking to them about John the Baptist." (Matthew 17:9-13) 
I think after an event like that I would have been quiet for days, but they felt free enough to ask Jesus questions so they could accept all that they had seen. So, my understanding is that Moses appeared to represent the Old Covenant-the promise of a Savior, and Elijah came as the one who restores. They were asking, 'If you are the Son of God, how come Elijah hasn't come to all the people first?' Jesus tells them that he did come, through John the Baptist. 
Close curtain.
End scene. 
It is all clear. Jesus is the Son of God. Jesus is the Messiah. Jesus is the promised One. Now they know. 
Pray with me:
Jesus thank you for being all we ever need. Thank you for your patience in seeing the truth of who you are. Help me to trust all that you say. Help me to grow in your truth. Help me to see you in my daily life. In Jesus' Name, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment