Friday, April 7, 2017

Morning Moments with God: Day 60

                             Image result for Book of Matthew

Day 60: The Kingdom of Heaven

Please read the Bible verse for today:
Matthew 13: 44-52

Today's reading comprises of the last two parables Jesus spoke on, to describe what the Kingdom of Heaven is like. So, far we've read that the Kingdom of Heaven is like: The Parable of the Sower, The Parable of the Weeds, The Parable of the Mustard Seed and Yeast, and now, today we will read about The Parables of the Hidden Treasure, the Pearl and of the Net. I guess for me, reading a whole chapter on what the Kingdom of God is like, makes me realize that this was/is important to Jesus, and so it is important to me. Heaven is real and so is Hell. Jesus takes the time to tell us that there will be a judgment day and we need to be ready. Today we also find out how very special Heaven is too. 

The Parables of the Hidden Treasure and the Pearl

44 The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.
45 “Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. 46 When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it.
I remember when I first asked Jesus into my heart, back in 1987, I felt just like the man who found treasure hidden in a field. I was so excited. I gladly gave up my worldly record and tape collection. I went out and bought a Bible and turned the furniture around in my bedroom to make a special place to pray and read the Word. I read the Bible day and night. There was so much joy bubbling inside me I couldn't contain it. I talked about Jesus with everyone I met. I guess some people think that following Jesus is just taking on more religion, but when you accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior it's about knowing Jesus and having a relationship with Him. I left the Catholic Church because it was, for me, a duty, a chore, and religion. When I met Jesus, I was set free from works and the bondage that often comes with religion. 

The Parable of the Net

47 Once again, the kingdom of heaven is like a net that was let down into the lake and caught all kinds of fish. 48 When it was full, the fishermen pulled it up on the shore. Then they sat down and collected the good fish in baskets, but threw the bad away. 49 This is how it will be at the end of the age. The angels will come and separate the wicked from the righteous 50 and throw them into the blazing furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth." (Matthew 13: 47-50) Here, Jesus is making it very clear that there is Heaven and there is Hell. There will be a judgment day and those who are followers of Jesus will be accepted into Heaven and those who do not, those who choose evil will perish in Hell. 
51 Have you understood all these things?” Jesus asked. (Matthew 13:51) 
I love this question from Jesus. "Have you understood all these things?" He spoke at length explaining what the Kingdom of Heaven is like and yet He took the time to ask them and us if we understand. Jesus wants us to understand His teachings. He wants to be sure that we understand that we have a choice to accept Him and be with Him in Heaven or reject Him. It is our choice. 
“Yes,” they replied.
52 He said to them, Therefore every teacher of the law who has become a disciple in the kingdom of heaven is like the owner of a house who brings out of his storeroom new treasures as well as old.” (Matthew 13: 51b-52) They answered, "yes," so Jesus tells them that because they understood all that He shared about the Kingdom of Heaven, they now had a responsibility. I love how Jesus makes sure that those who were teaching the Law, the words of the Old Covenant or Old Testament, are now to teach the New Covenant to the people as well. He is not telling them that because they are now understanding or grafted into the New Covenant they should abandon the Law. They are to teach it all! We are to study the entire Bible. To read the prophesy of Jesus and see how everything was fulfilled in and through Him. 
Pray with me:
Thank you for explaining what the Kingdom of Heaven is like and that it is available to all who believe. Thank you that I am accepted. Thank you that I will see you one day in Heaven. Help me to read your Word daily: to learn it and know it.  Help me to teach your Word to all who do not know it. I love you with all my heart. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment