Thursday, March 30, 2017

Morning Moments with God: Day 54


                        Image result for Book of Matthew

Day 54: Jesus is the 'Sign'

Please read the Bible verse for today:
Matthew 12: 38-45

The Sign of Jonah

38 Then some of the Pharisees and teachers of the law said to him, “Teacher, we want to see a sign from you.”
They want a 'sign?' I'm not sure how much time has passed since the beginning of Matthew 12, but the Pharisees have been around and among the crowd since verse one. They have witnessed the healing of a man with a shriveled hand be completely restored and a demon-possessed, blind and mute man completely healed. They have heard Jesus preach, in which many have said, 'He preaches with authority.' And yet they would, once again, confront Jesus and ask for a sign. I'm not sure what exactly they are looking for, but I think they have already see the sign, but refuse to accept it. 
39 He answered, “A wicked and adulterous generation asks for a sign! But none will be given it except the sign of the prophet Jonah. 40 For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.41 The men of Nineveh will stand up at the judgment with this generation and condemn it; for they repented at the preaching of Jonah, and now something greater than Jonah is here. 42 The Queen of the South will rise at the judgment with this generation and condemn it; for she came from the ends of the earth to listen to Solomon’s wisdom, and now something greater than Solomon is here." (Matthew 12:39-42)

Jesus tells them straight out that they are a wicked and adulterous generation to ask for a sign. (He said that to the 'holy' Pharisees). Then Jesus compares the generation of the people of Jesus' day to that of the generation of people in Ninevah and the Queen of the South. Clearly, they were evil as well, but when Jonah and Solomen confronted them and told them to turn from their wicked ways, they did! The people repented! Jesus tells the people, "and now something greater than Jonah is here." (Matthew 12:41b) Jesus is referring to Himself. Jesus, God, is among the people. He is preaching, teaching, and healing and yet they do not repent! They only want more and more proof!
43 “When an impure spirit comes out of a person, it goes through arid places seeking rest and does not find it. 44 Then it says, ‘I will return to the house I left.’ When it arrives, it finds the house unoccupied, swept clean and put in order. 45 Then it goes and takes with it seven other spirits more wicked than itself, and they go in and live there. And the final condition of that person is worse than the first. That is how it will be with this wicked generation.” (Matthew 12:43-45)
If I had been in that crowd, hearing those words, I would have fallen on my knees, and repented for myself and my generation. 

Pray with me:
Jesus, thank you for giving me eyes to see the truth, a heart to respond and the humility to repent. I repent. Forgive me. Make me whole that I may serve you with a pure heart, free from fear or doubt. In Jesus' Name, Amen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment