Thursday, September 26, 2013

He Owns the Cattle on a Thousand Hills


I don't know how many of you have read the Scripture verse from Psalm 50,

"I will not take a bull from your house,
Nor goats out of your folds.
10 For every beast of the forest is Mine,
And the cattle on a thousand hills.
11 I know all the birds of the mountains,
And the wild beasts of the field are Mine."

or sang the song,
 
"He owns the cattle on a thousand hills,
The wealth in every mine;
He owns the rivers and the rocks and rills,
The sun and stars that shine.
Wonderful riches, more than tongue can tell -
He is my Father so they're mine as well;
He owns the cattle on a thousand hills -
I know that He will care for me." 
 

Well, the phrase, "He owns the cattle on a thousand hills"

was the theme in our home today.
 
For the past year I have been praying and hoping (on and off) for new leather couches or faux leather couches for our den. We are a family of eight now and we no longer fit altogether on the couches during our family time. Someone (or more than someone) would have to sit on the hard wooden floor. That bothered me. I wanted to sit and snuggle together, but there just wasn't enough room. I have been on the look out for a really great deal and even looked for "free" couches on Craigslist, but the bottom line is we just couldn't afford it. 

So, last Saturday, after months and months of looking and praying, I gave up. I realized that there were more important things that God could use our money for then couches.  But then, the next day, Sunday, Clem  Ferris, (who doesn't know us at all), gave us a word and reminded me that the Lord cares about the things we care about and how He will provide the things we desire for our home. 
 
TODAY! I woke up and felt in my spirit the Lord saying,

"Today you'll find your couches."
 
I didn't know what it meant or what to do with that so I got up, dressed into my workout clothes and went downstairs to start my work-out. Some time into it I heard a garbage truck in the neighborhood and
I felt it again-
 "Today you'll find your couches."
 
I turned off my workout, got the kids in the van and began driving up and down street looking for my couches! (Ridiculous as this may sound to you, it felt very real to me).

As we drove along I shared with my children what I was believing the Lord had for us: a leather couch, love-seat and a leather chair.  And so we were all intently looking out the window as we drove for God's gift. 

But after an unproductive hour of looking, and as I was turning onto my street my son yelled, "MOMMY! I see the couches!" I turned the van around and drove to the street (across from mine) and found that a neighbor had just finished putting a leather couch, leather love-seat, and leather chair on his curb. It was exactly what I have been praying for!!!

Long story on how me and six children got all three furnishing back to my house, (pretty funny though) but we moved out the old, and brought in the new. When my hubby came home from work, I blind folded him, sat him down on the 'new' couch and asked him,

"Does your Father in heaven own the cattle on a thousand hills?"
 He removed the blind fold and humbly said, "Yes, He does."
 
I have cried on and off today, basking in the greatness of our God! I have sung the the words,
 He is my Father so they're mine as well;
He owns the cattle on a thousand hills -
I know that He will care for me." 
over and over throughout the day today. My children have been giddy with joy. I don't know what I love more, that my Father answered a secret desire in my heart for my family or that my children got to see all that happened today. I never thought for one moment, "What do I tell the children if I don't find the couches?" They got to see my faith and obedience to God in action. They got to see how exciting life can be when we pray and God hear's and answers our prayers. 

 My hope is that you are all encouraged. Understand this, our God cares about the secret desires of our heart. He hears even your unspoken, hoped-for, wishes! He cares about us that much!


Here is the longest couch-
(I jogged this one home by myself!)
(The red curtains and pillows I bought years ago, used for a while,
but then washed them and put away in the attic. Perfect match!)


The chair and...


the love-seat.
(My boys walked the love seat home with the help of a dolly!)


Here is what sits atop my coffee table.
A 'red' and 'cream' place mat, a cream plate,
and red and cream candles that I bought back in MARCH! 
Funny or crazy, but no, it didn't match my other couch set,
 but I loved it so much
my husband said it was okay for me to buy.
The cream and red of this set matches the couches and pillows!


Now this gem of a coffee table has it's own story too.
About three years ago I saw a similar one at a friend's house. 
I fell in love with it because she stored her board games on it's shelf.
She said, "If I don't see my board games 
I just won't remember to play with my children."
I thought, "Me too."
Then I prayed, "Lord, some day can I have a coffee table like that?"
Well, I'm glad to say that about two months ago,
before finding the leather couches,
my husband and I saw our neighbor throwing it out!
(I immediately put our board games and Bibles on it's storage shelf!).


So here it is!
My new den furniture:
complete with a leather couch, leather love seat
leather chair, and a huge coffee table
as a free gift from my Father in heaven!
 Thank you Jesus!
 

4 comments:

  1. Ellie, it's so beautiful!!!!! Your den is completely transformed! I LOVE seeing God's provision for your needs and desires. Just awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I woke up this morning and thought, "I want Rebekah to see my 'new' den." and I see you have =) God is so good...His blessings are endless...

      Delete