Monday, October 10, 2011

The Energizer 'Christian' Bunny

So here is my third tribute to an amazing Godly woman -Maggie.  A woman of God that I met eleven years ago. She was in her eighties than- white, beautiful hair and a smile that shone even brighter. She reminded me of my grandma- little, petite and lots of energy. I bonded to her immediately because of that, but I was soon to meet her and be amazed.

I met Maggie in a woman's Bible study hosted at my church. I remember when I saw her I thought, "Oh, praise God, that lady met Jesus late in life, but she met Him." I thought it was awesome how this woman in her eighties met Jesus and was coming to a Bible study to learn more about God. I could not have gotten the story more wrong.

Maggie has known Jesus for most of her life and here I was thinking she was a new Christian. why did I automatically think that she was a new Christian? Well, it goes back to my mother's fortieth birthday- my mother made some speech about how half her life was over and it would be all down hill from there. How she'd only get fatter, uglier, more wrinkled and there wasn't anything she could do about it. Her attitude about life pretty much matched the attitude of her appearance. She saw herself as an old lady at forty and gave up trying. I was only ten at the time.

So, when I met Maggie, (I didn't realize it), but I had had this thought that life was over at forty-no trying to better yourself, no trying to learn anything new- life was over. So how could Maggie at eighty be at a Bible study to better herself unless she was a new Christian? An "old" Christian would say, "Been there, done that."  or "What's the point? I'm not going to change this late in life-life is over." (Completely horrible I know-but I was raised under this philosophy-so don't shoot me).

Maggie, a Christian in her eighties studying the Bible. A Bible study, I might add, that was about 'Breaking Free.'  I sat back each week and wondered about her. She'd come in, Bible in hand with work-book and homework completed. I loved it. She was living life. Still going. Still seeking God.

Since then I see her come to church every Sunday. She comes- no one would judge her if she said she was too tired to come to church. No one would blame her if she said, 'I've heard it all.' She probably could even give a great sermon, but she listens to the preacher with no judgement. I think one of the most amazing thing is when I see her singing along to a loud, electric guitar, drums banging, worship song. She could complain that it's too loud. She could say, "Why don't we sing the old songs." But not Maggi. She is not stuck in the past- never has been. She has been marching forward since the day I met her. She is still marching in her nineties.

She completely shocked me last winter on a cold, dark, Wednesday night when she simply walked through the door. I had thought of not going to church that night due to the weather, but there was Maggie-driving alone, coming in to pray. Today Maggie is still going to Bible studies. On Monday she attends one and on Thursday she leads one. Nothing stops her. she is living for Jesus and nothing is going to slow her down or stop her. Not the weather, the darkness, not her age.

Maggie, through the years, has been there for me. I run to her and tell her the latest update on either the ridiculous minutia of my life or for the things that weigh down my heart. She is there- ready to listen-ready to pray- ready to advise. She is my little energizer Christian bunny.

Maggie has taught me that as long as God has you on this earth you are to live for Him. I haven't asked her, but I would guess one of her life verses is:

"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Galatians 6:9

Because of her example, Galatians 6:9 is one of my life verses. Thank you Maggie for being the example I never had. For being there for me. For teaching me to forge ahead no matter what. To never give up. To never give an excuse as to why I shouldn't follow Jesus.

True story-a few years ago I was asked to teach the girls cheer leading for our VBS-I didn't think I should do it.  My excuse: I was eight months pregnant. I had never cheered before. I had absolutely no idea how to teach it. Maggie said, "Is God asking you to do it?"  I said, 'I think He is.' Her response, "Well I guess you're the cheerleader teacher."  If God is asking you to do something, well then, you better do it no matter what your age, situation, problems- if He asks- then He has a plan and He will make you able. By the way, I taught the cheer leading classes that summer and had a blast. If you really love Jesus you'll serve Him no matter what.

Lord, I want to be like Maggie. I want to never tire of doing good. I want to study your Word over and over again until I can breathe it. I want to be there for people. I want to serve people. I want to be in your house- old with white hair, -until you take me home.

No comments:

Post a Comment