Monday, March 27, 2017

Morning Moments with God: Day 51

                           Image result for Book of Matthew
Day 51: Withdraw and Be Still

Please read the Bible verse for today:
Matthew 12: 15- 21

God’s Chosen Servant

15 "Aware of this, Jesus withdrew from that place." (Matthew 12:15) 'Aware of this,' Aware of what? Well, in Matthew 12:14 we read, "But the Pharisees went out and plotted how they might kill Jesus." Every time I read that the Pharisees plotted Jesus death I am shocked, especially this time. They had just witnessed a miracle. A miracle on a man that they pulled from the crowd who had a shriveled hand-(an obvious deformity) and the guy was healed. And if that wasn't enough, they were actually standing in the presence of God! and still they would not believe. Still they looked for a way to kill Him. 
And what is Jesus' response to all of this? "Jesus withdrew from that place." (Matthew 12:15) There is a difference in 'running away' and 'withdrawing.' Running away one does in fear. Running away shows that the person cannot handle the situation. That is not our Jesus. Jesus withdraws. He bows out. He does not argue with the Pharisees. He does not try and convince them. He does not try and change their minds. He, in all of His wisdom, knows there is no convincing them, changing them. He withdraws silently- without a defense. I know for me, I would stay in the fight. I would argue and yell until my voice was heard. But I look back now and see the people I was trying to talk to, reason with, did not want to know-they did not want to change. All my words fell on deaf ears. I wish now, I had simply withdrawn.

 "A large crowd followed him, and he healed all who were ill. (Matthew 12:15b) Though the Pharisees did not follow Jesus, 'a large crowd' did. And what did this large crowd witness? 'He healed ALL who were ill.'

16 He warned them not to tell others about him. 17 This was to fulfill what was spoken through the prophet Isaiah:


“Here is my servant whom I have chosen,

    the one I love, in whom I delight;
I will put my Spirit on him,
    and he will proclaim justice to the nations.
He will not quarrel or cry out;
    no one will hear his voice in the streets.
A bruised reed he will not break,
    and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out,
till he has brought justice through to victory.

    In his name the nations will put their hope.”


 (Matthew 12:16-21)

Jesus 'warned the large crowd not to tell others about their healing and who did healed them, not because He was afraid of the Pharisees, but because it wasn't time for His death. He was willing and wanting to die for our sins, willing to die a death of crucifixion, but not yet. God had the timing set and it was too soon. The prophecy from Isaiah was not fulfilled. Jesus waits on the Father. I need to wait on the Father too. So many times I jump ahead of God's plan for my life. I need only be still, withdraw, wait, and watch how God's plan is revealed in my life.

Pray with me:
Father, I praise you for the Scriptures and how every word is for my benefit. Help me to be like Jesus. Help me to close my mouth. Help me to withdraw. Help me to trust you to be my defense. Help me to trust your plan and your timing. Forgive me for all the times I have jumped ahead of your plan and your timing. Help me to let go, to let go of the control I have on my life. Lord, I want to trust you completely, in every area of my life. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment