Thursday, March 16, 2017

Morning Moments with God: Day 44


                            Image result for Book of Matthew

Day 44: We are Worth More than the Sparrow

Please read the Bible verse for today:
Matthew 10: 21-24


Chapter 10 in the Bible is entitled, 'Jesus Sends out the Twelve.' For the past two days we have been reading the instructions Jesus gave to the apostles before sending them out on their own to preach, teach and heal the lost. We pick up today on more of what Jesus is telling them. 

21 “Brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child; children will rebel against their parents and have them put to death. 22 You will be hated by everyone because of me, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved. 23 When you are persecuted in one place, flee to another. Truly I tell you, you will not finish going through the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes.
Jesus' words are true even today. 21 “Brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child; children will rebel against their parents and have them put to death." 22 You will be hated by everyone because of me, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved. (Matthew 10:21-22) I can testify that my own sisters tried to put me to death, along with my own mother. I had become a Christian and would not conform to what they believed, and so, I was bound hand and foot and beaten for hours. Their goal was death, but Jesus saved me. This has been happening to Christians around the world since they have been sent out to preach the Gospel and it is still happening today. I receive the magazine, Voice of the Martyrs, and read about how Christians around the world today are suffering so I know how to pray more fervently. 
24 “The student is not above the teacher, nor a servant above his master.25 It is enough for students to be like their teachers, and servants like their masters. If the head of the house has been called Beelzebul, how much more the members of his household!" (Matthew 10: 24-25) I believe Jesus is saying that the apostles, and even us, should strive to be like Jesus in every way, but do not be surprised when we fall short. It's enough that we are like Him or desire to be like Him. 

26 “So do not be afraid of them, for there is nothing concealed that will not be disclosed, or hidden that will not be made known. 27 What I tell you in the dark, speak in the daylight; what is whispered in your ear, proclaim from the roofs. 28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell. 29 Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care.[b]30 And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. 31 So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows." (Mattew 10: 26-31) I hear Jesus saying a few things here: 1. Do not be afraid to speak out what Holy Spirit tells you. Share the Gospel with anyone you meet. Do not worried. 2. Do not be afraid of those who will persecute you for preaching or teaching the Gospel. They may kill you, your body, but they cannot have your spirit for it belongs to God. 3. He tells us not to be afraid because He is with us always. It seems impossible that He would know, much less care, when a sparrow, (that is worth half a penny), dies, but He does. We are worth more than a sparrow, we need not be afraid. 

"And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows." This verse is very special to me, so much so that I wrote a whole article about it! "Big Head of Hair...Yeah, that's me!"

Pray with me:
Jesus, help me to know you more. Help me to read your Word each day and grow deeper in my faith, so when the time comes to stand, I will stand. Help me to be unafraid of the rejection and persecution of this world. I trust you with my life. Help me to be bold and joyous in sharing the Gospel with everyone you put in my life. In Jesus' name, Amen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment