Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Morning Moments with God: Day 48

                              Image result for Book of Matthew

Day 48: Repent

Please read the Bible verse for today:
Matthew 11: 20-24

Woe on Unrepentant Towns

20 Then Jesus began to denounce the towns in which most of his miracles had been performed, because they did not repent. " (Matthew 11:20)
According to Merriam-Webster, denounce means, "to pronounce especially publicly to be blameworthy or evil." Jesus was announcing, in public, the evil act of people. And what was this evil act? Well, Jesus had performed miracles for all the people. People were healed from every sickness. People were healed from every disease. People were set free from demons. The evil act was that they received the healing, a miracle from Jesus, and then walked away. They did not repent. They took the healing and in their heart they were not moved. They got their healing and deliverance, and went right back to their lives without being convicted in their heart of WHO healed them. I am shocked. Every time Jesus has given me a miracle I have wept, fallen to my knees, cried and praised Him. I have gone out and told as many people as I can what the Lord has done for me. Why? Why have I cried and wept? Because the God of the Universe touched my life. The God who created the Heavens and earth heard my prayer and answered it. A miracle is personal. A miracle shows God knows the cries of our heart and cares about me. I pray and believe for miracles all the time and when it happens I am in awe of God's goodness. How is it that whole 'towns' didn't repent? I cannot even imagine Jesus' sadness to have witnessed that. 

 21 “Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the miracles that were performed in you had been performed in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes. 22 But I tell you, it will be more bearable for Tyre and Sidon on the day of judgment than for you.23 And you, Capernaum, will you be lifted to the heavens? No, you will go down to Hades. For if the miracles that were performed in you had been performed in Sodom, it would have remained to this day. 24 But I tell you that it will be more bearable for Sodom on the day of judgment than for you.” (Matthew 11:21-24) 

Jesus' words in verses 21-24 are scary words. He declares that these towns will receive eternal death for their unrepentant ways. 

(As a side note: I think it is so awesome that Jesus says, "For if the miracles that were performed in you had been performed in Sodom, it would have remained to this day." The first thing that came to my mind was that Jesus was in heaven, with God the Father and God the Holy Spirit, at the time when Sodom was destroyed. He was there! Thousands of years before He came to earth, He was in Heaven and saw and commanded the destruction of Sodom. He knew the people's hearts and knew that if they had received the miracles of His day they would have repented. It wasn't an assumption- it was a fact because He is God and was there! How cool is that!)

Pray with me:
Father, may it never be said of me that I did not or would not repent. May I be ever humble and grateful for all you do for me and my family. Keep pride far from me. Jesus, I repent for my arrogance, pride and judgemental heart. Forgive me. I want to serve you all my days in humility. I love you with all my heart. In Jesus' Name, Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment