Thursday, March 2, 2017

Morning Moments with God, Day 34


                             Image result for Book of Matthew

Day 34: He's IN the Boat

Please read the Bible verse for today:
Matthew 8: 23-27

Jesus Calms the Storm

23" Then he got into the boat and his disciples followed him. 24 Suddenly a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. 25 The disciples went and woke him, saying, “Lord, save us! We’re going to drown!”
26 He replied, “You of little faith, why are you so afraid?” Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm.
27 The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

Two years ago I was reading the Book of Luke when I read this very same story, 'Jesus Calms the Storm.' I was moved. 

Jesus Calms the Storm

22 One day Jesus said to his disciples, “Let us go over to the other side of the lake.” So they got into a boat and set out. 23 As they sailed, he fell asleep. A squall came down on the lake, so that the boat was being swamped, and they were in great danger.
24 The disciples went and woke him, saying, “Master, Master, we’re going to drown!”
He got up and rebuked the wind and the raging waters; the storm subsided, and all was calm. 25 “Where is your faith?” he asked his disciples.
In fear and amazement they asked one another, “Who is this? He commands even the winds and the water, and they obey him.” (Luke 8:22-25)

When reading the Scriptures I seem to find myself or imagine myself in and among and the disciples. I try and think or feel as the disciples felt. In this particular story my heart raced with theirs. It is said in Luke, but not in Matthew, "they were in great danger." Every time I read that, fear grips my heart. I understand great danger. I know the scariness of it. Too many times I've been abused at the hands of my sisters, father and sadly even a boyfriend. I know what it is to feel like, 'I won't make it out of this alive.' I know the fear of feeling all alone with no one to help me. It is a horrendous, dark, and formidable place. That is where the disciples were. Alone. In the dark. With no help, so they thought...
I wrote an article all about it two years ago. It's called, "He's in the Boat." Please take the time and read it, I truly believe it is part of what the Lord would have for us today. 
Pray with me:
Father, thank you that you are in my boat. Thank you that you never leave me nor forsake me. Thank you that I do not need to be afraid, or need to feel like I have to make it on my own. Thank you that you are with me-always. Jesus, help me to trust you and rest with you in my boat. Help me to see myself right next to you, sleeping. Help me to be at peace knowing you are in control. I love you, Jesus. In your name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment