Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Morning Moments with God: Day 52

                               Image result for Book of Matthew
Day 52: Good, Good Father

Please read the Bible for today:
Matthew 12: 22-28

Jesus and Beelzebul

22 Then they brought him a demon-possessed man who was blind and mute, and Jesus healed him, so that he could both talk and see. 23 All the people were astonished and said, “Could this be the Son of David?” (Matthew 12:22-23)
Did you read what I just read? '...they brought a demon-possessed man who was blind and mute..." Being demon-possessed is a horrifying thought, but blind and mute also? This is by far the worst of the 'sick' that were brought to Jesus so far in the book of Matthew. I don't know if it gets any worse than this. Whoever brought this guy must have been so desperate for help. It actually astonishes me that someone did bring him-I mean, how scary must it have been to not only bring a demon-possessed man, but to touch him and guide him to Jesus. Whoever brought him was desperate, brave, and hopeful. I know that I have had some pretty traumatic situations in my life, that brought me to my knees before Jesus begging for healing, and in my desperation, and in my heart I was unsure if Jesus' plan for me was healing or death. But now I'm seeing Jesus' choice is always healing in some form or another. Whoever brought this demon-possessed man to Jesus, brought him as a 'burden too heavy for them to carry', and they laid him at Jesus' feet to receive the burden Jesus had for them. (Matthew 11:28-30) Do we bring our sicknesses, burdens to Jesus, and believe that He will touch our lives in the miraculous? 
24 But when the Pharisees heard this, they said, “It is only by Beelzebul, the prince of demons, that this fellow drives out demons.”(Matthew 12:24) Wow! The Pharisees really cannot accept Jesus as their Messiah, so they've come up with-'Jesus is from the devil!' It is so much easier to believe Jesus is God than to believe that He is from Satan, but pride will have you believe what you want to believe. It is interesting to me that after the demon-possessed, blind and mute guy was healed, the crowd said, "Could this be the son of David?" (Matthew 12:22) The crowd, ordinary, common Jewish folks, who worked hard and weren't as 'religious' as the Pharisees, could see and question, 'Is this Jesus the Messiah?' I'm thinking that this crowd, and the Pharisees, had never had a miracle worker among them before, so how is it that they are still questioning His identity? But it is still happening today. Even in our own hearts we don't believe that Jesus will answer our prayers, but if we believe HE IS GOD, why do we doubt?
25 "Jesus knew their thoughts..." (Matthew 12:25a) WHAT!!! How awesome is that???!!! Jesus knew the Pharisees thoughts! They didn't have to say anything and they didn't. Jesus heard their thoughts and before the Pharisees had a chance to say anything to this crowd that would confuse them and possibly cause chaos, Jesus addresses the Pharisees THOUGHTS! 

 "...and said to them, Every kingdom divided against itself will be ruined, and every city or household divided against itself will not stand. 26 If Satan drives out Satan, he is divided against himself. How then can his kingdom stand? 27 And if I drive out demons by Beelzebul, by whom do your people drive them out? So then, they will be your judges. 28 But if it is by the Spirit of God that I drive out demons, then the kingdom of God has come upon you." (Matthew 12:25b-28) Perfect. Jesus' words were a perfect response to the Pharisees thoughts. It's a perfect rebuttal, no flaws whatsoever. It probably made them speechless. And to all the people in the crowd who were there listening, how it must have made them think...'Yes, if Jesus is not from the devil, He must be sent by God!" How that would have encouraged them, deepened their faith and brought even more hope to the people. But my favorite line is, "...then the kingdom of God has come upon you." (Matthew 12:28) How the power of the Holy Spirit must have fallen on the people as those words left Jesus' mouth-'the kingdom of God has come upon you.' 

Pray with me: 
Jesus, thank you for your Word- this story. Thank you for healing the demon-possessed, blind and mute man. What freedom you gave him. Father, nothing I have endured in my lifetime has been as horrible as what that man endured and yet you easily healed him. You are a good, good Father. Forgive me for the doubt I have in my heart when I pray. I know your burden is easy and light and I submit to you all my burdens and worries and hold on to the thought, 'since healed a demon-possessed, blind and mute man who could not ask you to heal him, who was far from you in his heart and mind, than I know you can bring healing to my heart and mind from past hurts. I know my healing has nothing to do with me, except a humble heart. Lord, bring healing to me- in my mind, heart, and body I ask in Jesus' precious and holy Name, Amen. 
As you start your day, listen to this:
'Good, Good, Father'

No comments:

Post a Comment