Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Morning Moments with God: Day 42

                           Image result for Book of Matthew
Day 42: Send Me Out Too!

Please read the Bible verse for today:
Matthew 10: 1-10

Jesus Sends Out the Twelve

10 "Jesus called his twelve disciples to him and gave them authority to drive out impure spirits and to heal every disease and sickness." (Matthew 10:1)


In verse one, Jesus calls, who we know as, the twelve apostle over to Him. He is going to send them out alone, that is without Jesus, to go and preach the Good News. They are going to go out like John the Baptist to preach. As we know, there were many who accepted what John said and many who did not. We also know that John was imprisoned and later martyred. (We will read more about John the Baptist in Matthew chapter 14) It was a hostile time to preach the Gospel, just as it is today. The twelve were being sent out as missionaries, it's a big step for them, as it would be for me. They have heard Jesus' teachings, first hand, they have seen Him heal every disease and sickness, they know who He is and they are ready.
2 "These are the names of the twelve apostles: first, Simon (who is called Peter) and his brother Andrew; James son of Zebedee, and his brother John; Philip and Bartholomew; Thomas and Matthew the tax collector; James son of Alphaeus, and Thaddaeus; Simon the Zealot and Judas Iscariot, who betrayed him." (Matthew 10:2) 

Verse two to four, gives us the starting line up. The twelve. The twelve who will stand by Jesus, live with Him, watch Him heal, hear Him preach for three years. The eleven who follow Him after His death and resurrection. The eleven who preach the Great News after Jesus ascends into heaven. Here they are. In reading the four Gospels and the Epistles, these are the very men who knew Jesus best. These are the twelve chosen to preach about Jesus after He leaves earth. These guys are the ones that spread Christendom, and it is still spreading two-thousand years later. They did it! They believed and so now we believe. Their impact on this earth is tremendous. I may not be an apostle, but I want my Christian faith and walk to impact those around me as much as the twelve effected this world. 
5 "These twelve Jesus sent out with the following instructions: Do not go among the Gentiles or enter any town of the Samaritans. Go rather to the lost sheep of Israel. As you go, proclaim this message: ‘The kingdom of heaven has come near.’ Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy,[a] drive out demons. Freely you have received; freely give. “Do not get any gold or silver or copper to take with you in your belts10 no bag for the journey or extra shirt or sandals or a staff, for the worker is worth his keep." (Matthew 5:10)

In verses five through ten Jesus begins to tell the apostles what they need and need not do as they go into towns to preach Jesus. (The rest of chapter ten is in read lettering, signifying Jesus' exact words). I can see Jesus as the coach of a great baseball team standing over His men, and His team, the apostles sitting on the bench listening to every word. 
1. Do not preach to the Gentiles or Samaritans. The Gospel is to go out to the Jewish or Israelite's first. After Jesus' ascension they will go to them, but for now they are only going to preach to the lost of Israel. 
2. Preach the, 'The kingdom of heaven has come near!' Tell the people about Jesus. 
3. Jesus tells them, 'Do as I have done: 'Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons.' If I was sitting there and heard that I was going to be able to do that my heart would be so excited! To be able to touch the hurting and see them healed-nothing could be better, that is, it would be second to praying with someone to receive Jesus as their Lord and Savior, but still so amazing! Jesus is freely giving them the power to heal, and requiring them to freely do so. Do not hold back healing from anyone. 
4. Go as missionaries today- go and allow the people to support your work. Do not take money or extra clothes or shoes. Go and allow those you minister to, to support you. 
This is only the beginning of the list, it continues from verses 11-42. We will continue reading and seeing what else Jesus has for them over the next few days. 

Pray with me:
Jesus, I know that I am called and sent out to preach in my home to my children, to my neighbors and to anyone you bring into my life. Help me be bold. Help me to be confident. Help me to remember all you have done for me and allow it to swell in my heart and overflow out of my mouth. Jesus I ask for the gift of healing. How I would love to pray with someone and see them set free from sickness. I love you. In Jesus' name, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment