Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Eggs ala Ellie!




Here is the Martha Stewart recipe:
Florentine egg cups
-slices of bread                           
 (amount may vary for the amount of company).
-butter
-eggs
-thawed frozen spinach
-salt and pepper
-cup cake pan

Butter the cups of a muffin tin. Cut the crusts off slices of bread (white works best), and spread each slice with softened butter; gently press one slice into each muffin cup, buttered side up. Place one tablespoon of thawed frozen spinach in each bread cup. Crack an egg into each cup; season with salt and pepper. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes, until the whites are set but the yolks are still soft. Serve them on their own, or with hollandaise.


Eggs ala Ellie or Eggs in a Basket:
-wheat bread slices (of course I used eight)
-butter spray/butter
-eggs
-sliced or shredded cheese
-salt and pepper
-cupcake pan

Spray the cupcake pan with butter spray. Butter each slice of bread and place down in the cupcake holder. (So far everything is the same ;)  My children do not sunny side up eggs so I scrambled an egg and carefully poured it into the bread. (You need to pour it slowly to allow the bread time to absorb it-otherwise it will pour out of the bread and onto the pan. Ask me how I know that little tidbit of information)  Next, season the scrambled egg with salt and pepper. Lastly, place a half a slice of cheese on top of the egg in a basket!

-Repeat above recipe for as many people as you are serving.
-Place in the oven at 350 degrees.
-Bake 20 minutes.

All my kids ate it up- even my one and half year old!

***I didn't use the spinach because in the morning I want quick prep time breakfasts- thawing out the spinach would slow me down, but would totally do it with a  Saturday morning or Sunday evening meal.

1 comment: