Thursday, May 25, 2017

Morning Moments with God: Day 89

                            Image result for Book of Matthew

Day 89: To Be Like a Little Child

Please read the Bible verses for today:
Matthew 21:12-17

Jesus at the Temple

12 "Jesus entered the temple courts and drove out all who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves. 13 “It is written,” he said to them, “‘My house will be called a house of prayer,’ but you are making it ‘a den of robbers.’” (Matthew 21:12-13) 
Many years ago I attended a wedding in a Jewish Temple. As I was waiting to go into the Temple I remember thinking about how excited I was to see the inside of a Jewish Temple and how Holy and quiet it would be. As we were taken inside, I saw what looked like a flea market! People were buying and selling jewelry and clothes and food. There were so many tables lining the entry way that we had to squeeze past them and it was so noisy. I honestly was completely shocked. Immediately, I remembered the Scripture for today. In reading this Scripture we know just how Jesus felt about the buying and selling on Temple grounds. The thing that always amazes me when reading how Jesus handled the situation, (over turning tables), is His power to stand for what it right. I would have tried reasoning with them even though I know they wouldn't have listened. I find I stand up for what is right, but I am shaking in my boots when I do. Jesus walked into the Temple area one-hundred percent confident. I need to pray for His boldness when standing up for what I know is right. 
14 "The blind and the lame came to him at the temple, and he healed them. 15 But when the chief priests and the teachers of the law saw the wonderful things he did and the children shouting in the temple courts, “Hosanna to the Son of David,” they were indignant." (Matthew 21:14-15)
I LOVE how the people still went to Jesus for healing! They must have just witnessed Him overturning tables, which, I'm thinking is a pretty violent scene, and yet they still walk right up to Him and ask for healing! They weren't afraid of Him or what they saw. I love it! Jesus always welcomes us to come, no matter what. I know for me when I am upset about something and my child comes to me and asks me something, I sometimes say, "Not right now, give me a minute." But not Jesus! He is always available to us. He will never send us away. 
And I love how the children are dancing and shouting around Jesus. Jesus is healing them, their parents, their relatives, their neighbors! They are rejoicing and celebrating what is in their hearts. I love the freedom in their shouting! They are not afraid to shout the truth. 

16 “Do you hear what these children are saying?” they asked him.
Yes,” replied Jesus, have you never read,
“‘From the lips of children and infants
    you, Lord, have called forth your praise’?”
17 And he left them and went out of the city to Bethany, where he spent the night." (Matthew 21:16-17) 

In verse 14 we read, "...the chief priests and the teachers of the law saw the wonderful things he did..." They saw the miracles for themselves. They saw the blind restore their sight and the lame walk again and it did not move their hearts. The children saw the very same miracles and rejoiced. Jesus stands before each us revealing His great love and compassion and we will always have the choice to accept Him or reject Him.

Pray with me:
Jesus, I pray for boldness. I pray that I will, in obedience to you, fight for what is right. I pray too that I will always see how you are moving in my life and in others and rejoice. I pray my heart will always be open to you. May the eyes of my heart always see you and rejoice! May I shout forth your praises like the little children! I praise you Jesus for all that you are! In Jesus' Name, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment