Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Morning Moments with God: Day 87

                       Image result for Book of Matthew

Day 87: Shouting for Jesus

Please read the Bible verses for today:
Matthew 20: 29-34

Two Blind Men Receive Sight

29 "As Jesus and his disciples were leaving Jericho, a large crowd followed him."
(Matthew 20:29)
In reading the Book of Matthew, I have read, "...a large crowd followed him..." many times. I've always thought, 'I would have definitely been one in the that 'large crowd.' I would have been following Jesus from place to place, but as we are approaching the end of the Book of Matthew, I know what is coming-Jesus' death. Jesus was followed by large crowds for three years, but the night He was arrested He was alone. When he stood before Pilate, the 'large crowd' yelled 'cruxify Him!' Now, when I think of myself in the 'large crowd' following Jesus, I am beginning to think, would I have fled like the others did, or would I have stood at the cross with John and Mary? I want my faith to be strong and deep and willing to follow Jesus no matter what the cross.

 30 "Two blind men were sitting by the roadside, and when they heard that Jesus was going by, they shouted, “Lord, Son of David, have mercy on us!” (Matthew 20:30)
Okay, so this is totally me, right here! If I was living at the time of Jesus, and blind, I would have been yelling and shouting out for Jesus to come to me. I have embarrassed my family for less important things like, at parades and sporting events with all my jumping up and down and cheering. I have embarrassed them in stores either for fun or in fighting for a return. Seriously, this would have been me, sitting on the road and yelling. I think it's awesome!
31 "The crowd rebuked them and told them to be quiet, but they shouted all the louder, “Lord, Son of David, have mercy on us!” (Matthew 20:31)
"...they shouted all the louder..." Yup! They did the right thing- shouted all the louder. They knew they needed Jesus. They had no other way to get to Him. They had no other way to get His attention. On their own, they could not see to find Him. People told them to stop, to be quiet, but they did not let that stop them. Shouldn't we be more like these blind men? Praying and crying out for ourselves and those we love that are hurting. And shouldn't we be praying and praying until the prayers are answered? So many times we pray and give up, but God desires for us to pray and not stop. To believe and believe more. These blind guys didn't give up and guess what? Jesus showed up!
32 "Jesus stopped and called them. What do you want me to do for you? he asked.
33 “Lord,” they answered, “we want our sight.”
34 Jesus had compassion on them and touched their eyes. Immediately they received their sight and followed him." (Matthew 20:32-34)

It doesn't read, 'Jesus came to them and was annoyed.' or 'Jesus came to them and said, 'Next time do the right thing and have someone quietly bring you to me- all this yelling is too much.' No. The Scripture reads, "Jesus had compassion on them and touched their eyes. Immediately they received their sight and followed him." Jesus has compassion on us. He loves us and desires for us to know Him and follow Him. We serve a Good and kind, and compassionate God who loves us. Call out to Him today! Shout to Him! And don't stop- believe He will come.

Pray with me:
Heavenly Father, thank you so much for this Scripture. Thank you for reminding me to come to you in pray and to keep praying not to give up. Thank you for your response to the two blind men. Thank you for showing me how gentle you are. Father, I pray for my heart to be healed from all the hurts of the past. I pray to be set free from the lies I believe about myself. Lord, I want to be whole and living for you in freedom to love and serve others so they may know you. In Jesus' Name, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment