Monday, May 22, 2017

Morning Moments with God: Day 86

                         Image result for Book of Matthew

Day 86: Be a Servant

Please read the Bible verses for today:
Matthew 20: 20-28

A Mother’s Request

20 "Then the mother of Zebedee’s sons came to Jesus with her sons and, kneeling down, asked a favor of him." (Matthew 20:20) 
I am a mother and I pray for my children every day, and like most mothers, I want the very best for my children, but I have never asked Jesus what this mother asked Him.
21 “What is it you want?” he asked.
She said, “Grant that one of these two sons of mine may sit at your right and the other at your left in your kingdom.”
22 “You don’t know what you are asking,” Jesus said to them. “Can you drink the cup I am going to drink?”
“We can,” they answered. (Matthew 20:21-22)
If they really knew what Jesus was asking them, I do not think they would have readily said, "We can." Even now, as I live my life devoted to Jesus, I think, "Could I drink the cup that Jesus drank? Could I deny my life, and resolutely claim Jesus as my Lord, if I was to be tortured through flogging and crucifixion? I hope I would, but I could not say, "I can" with confidence. 
23 "Jesus said to them, “You will indeed drink from my cup, but to sit at my right or left is not for me to grant. These places belong to those for whom they have been prepared by my Father.” (Matthew 20:23)
I wonder who will be sitting at Jesus' right and left hand. My guess is Peter will sit at one side, but for the other side, I have no idea. Peter was among the very first missionaries and endured the cross, (upside down!) Peter lived a life completely devoted to the work of Jesus- to love and save the lost. But either way, I am excited to see who it will be and have no expectation that it will be me. I am content and happy that my name is written in the Book of Life and I will see my Jesus one day. 
24 "When the ten heard about this, they were indignant with the two brothers. 25 Jesus called them together and said, “You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. 26 Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, 27 and whoever wants to be first must be your slave— 28 just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.” (Matthew 20:24-28)

And here is the lesson we all need to learn: "Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, 27 and whoever wants to be first must be your slave— 28 just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.” (Matthew 20:26b-28) It's not about a competition. It's not something to desire. If we live our life with a true heart to follow Jesus, our heart will be content to do whatever He asks us. It's interesting that I am reading this, this morning. Yesterday after church we were all heading out to do an outreach. (We were giving free car washes to the anyone who came by and sharing with strangers the love of Jesus). I was one of the last ones to leave the church, when I heard a husband tell his wife, "You go on without me, I'll catch up." My friend and I went back into the church to see what the hold up was, and there we found him in the back helping another young man clean up the church. The two of them were happily cleaning up the church, while everyone had left with excitement to serve the community. I bet these two guys wanted to be with everyone. I bet they were excited to leave too, but they stayed behind and worked while no one was looking. Later, I heard that this same husband was one of the guys working hard washing down all the cars. I have been so touched by his heart to serve. A heart to serve his Lord Jesus without any thought of himself. He serves with a humility that inspires me. 

Pray with me:
Thank you, Jesus, for all you have done for me. Thank you for allowing yourself to be flogged and crucified to save my life. The words, 'Thank you' aren't enough- my heart wants to say more! Thank you that your ways are not like this world- I do not have to compete for your attention and love. Thank you that you give it to me freely. Thank you that you are my Good Father. Help me Lord to serve you with a humble heart. Help me to serve you with my eyes on you and not on gaining man's attention and accolades. Help me to serve where ever I am needed. Make me a servant. I love you with all my heart. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment