Monday, July 10, 2017

Morning Moments with God: Day 121

            Image result for Book of Matthew

Day 121: Joseph of  Arimathea
Please read the Bible verses for today:
Matthew 27:57-61

The Burial of Jesus

57"As evening approached, there came a rich man from Arimathea, named Joseph, who had himself become a disciple of Jesus." (Matthew 27:57)
" So as evening approached, 43 Joseph of Arimathea, a prominent member of the Council, who was himself waiting for the kingdom of God, went boldly to Pilate and asked for Jesus’ body." (Mark 15:42b-43)
50" Now there was a man named Joseph, a member of the Council, a good and upright man, 51 who had not consented to their decision and action. He came from the Judean town of Arimathea, and he himself was waiting for the kingdom of God." (Luke 23:50-51)
38 "Later, Joseph of Arimathea asked Pilate for the body of Jesus. Now Joseph was a disciple of Jesus, but secretly because he feared the Jewish leaders." (John 19:38)
Through the four Gospels we find that Joseph of Arimathea was: a disciple of Jesus, a prominent member of the Council who was waiting for the kingdom of God, a good and upright man who had not consented to their decision and action, and secretly feared the Jewish leaders. There is something just so wonderful about Joseph of Arimathea. I could see myself, as a disciple of Jesus, at the cross, crying, in shock and unable to move. I would be watching and waiting for His death or a miracle. Then it happened. Jesus died. I would be frozen, but in walks Joseph, a superhero. He boldly went to Pilate, got permission for the body, and took the body to its burial place. Joseph had a brand new tomb. He had seventy-five pounds of spices to prepare the body, and fresh linen. He did what I would not have been mentally prepared to do. Mary, the mother of Jesus, was at the cross weeping. She had not prepared a place of burial for Jesus. God used Joseph. Joseph obeyed even in his own fear of the Council. And he did something else I could not have done- he prepared the body. It would have been hard enough to look at Jesus torn body, but to then apply the spices and wrap the body- Joseph was a very special man. 
 58"Going to Pilate, he asked for Jesus’ body, and Pilate ordered that it be given to him. 59 Joseph took the body, wrapped it in a clean linen cloth, 60 and placed it in his own new tomb that he had cut out of the rock. He rolled a big stone in front of the entrance to the tomb and went away. 61 Mary Magdalene and the other Mary were sitting there opposite the tomb." (Matthew 58-61) 
Pray with me:
Jesus, help me to be like Joseph of Arimathea. Help me to fight against my fears to do the very thing you call me to do. Help me to stand up to the Pilates in my life and boldly do what I need to do. Help me Lord, to hear your voice and obey no matter how difficult the task that you have for me to do is. Thank you for your death on the cross- your sacrifice for my sins. Thank you that the power of sin has been defeated and I now have the hope to change. I love you, Jesus. In Jesus' Name, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment