Monday, March 20, 2017

Morning Moments with God: Day 46

                              Image result for Book of Matthew

Day 46: Good and Faithful Servant

Please read the Bible verse for today:
Matthew 11: 1-6

Jesus and John the Baptist

11 "After Jesus had finished instructing his twelve disciples, he went on from there to teach and preach in the towns of Galilee."(Matthew 11:1) The whole of Matthew chapter ten is Jesus' instructions to the disciples. He told them everything they would need to know-the good, and the down, right, horrible truth. If the disciples had any ideas that preaching would be simple, fun and only wonderful times, Jesus quickly popped their bubble. Jesus spent most of His teaching time talking on how they will be rejected, persecuted, flogged and put to death, but 32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven." (Matthew 10:32) After hearing all that, the disciples still went out! I'm cautious to share the Gospel on a normal day, but if I had heard all that, I'm not sure how well I would do. I hope I would obey. I hope I would go out in joy. But sharing the Gospel than and now is not an easy task. 
So, after Jesus prepares the disciples to go out and preach, teach and heal, and knowing all the dangers that come with it, the Scriptures tell us that, "He went on from there to teach and preach in the towns of Galilee." (Matthew 11:1) I thought that the disciples went out, but Jesus stayed back and prayed for them or had the day off, but not Jesus. As soon as the disciples were off, He was off and preaching too! I know Jesus is God, but when I read the Word, I am reminded of more of who He is. He is an example to us, He is brave, He is compassionate, He loves us. 
2" When John, who was in prison, heard about the deeds of the Messiah, he sent his disciples to ask him, “Are you the one who is to come, or should we expect someone else?” (Mattew 11:2-3) Here we find that John the Baptist is still in prison. John had preached, and baptized the people and is now in jail. (Jesus just finished telling the disciples that they will be persecuted for sharing the Good News and if they didn't believe it, well the proof was right before their very eyes-Jesus' very first follower, John the Baptist, was in jail). And what was John thinking while in jail? He was thinking: 'Did I get it right? Is Jesus the Messiah? Am I in jail for the right reason? (Messiah, according to Merriam-Webster Dictionary: "the expected King and deliverer of the Jews.") I always feel sad when I read about John the Baptist in jail. He was the one who prepared the hearts of the people for Jesus-the Messiah and yet John didn't get to follow Jesus. John didn't get to see the miracles, the healings or hear Jesus preach. He did his job and was whisked away and thrown into jail and then death. John the most obedient follower. He preached in obedience to the Father.  
Jesus replied, “Go back and report to John what you hear and see:The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is proclaimed to the poor. Blessed is anyone who does not stumble on account of me.” (Matthew 11:4-6) I love that Jesus tells John's disciples to go back to John and reassure him that his work was not in vain. John prepared the hearts of the people and now the people are being healed, and cleansed and the Good News is being proclaimed to the poor! Jesus in essence, tells John, 'well done good and faithful servant!'
Pray with me:
Jesus, I hear your words to go forth and share the Good News and I hear your words that there will be persecution. Help me to obey. Give me your heart for the lost. I love you and want to serve you with all that I am. In Jesus' name, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment