Wednesday, April 6, 2016

What's for Breakfast?

Each morning, seven days a week, for sixteen years I have made breakfast for my family, but over this past year I have found myself getting tired of the routine, and bored with the food I was making. So, I came up with the best idea ever! Have my kids make breakfast!

The plan is set:
1) I have four children who are old enough to make breakfast. I have been training my children to cook on their own since they were eight years old. I now have a 16, 14 and two 11 year olds in the house. Why not use all that training for some true practical use?  I homeschool-right? Lessons in life are every where I turn! Whatever the age, challenge your child to choose a breakfast idea, prepare it with or without your help, the night before and wake up the next morning at ease.

2) Each child has chosen one day a week to create a breakfast for the rest of us.
Monday- Daughter number two likes to make delicious healthy muffins,
Tuesday- I make eggs over easy with all the trimmings
Wednesday- Son number one makes...well, we'll get to that later
Thursday- Son number two likes to make homemade breads: banana, pumpkin, squash etc.
Friday- Oldest daughter likes to make...cereal, toasted bagels, the easy stuff.

3) The child responsible for breakfast must make it the night before. For example- if  the child is responsible for breakfast on Monday, she has to make it Sunday night. (We reheat in the morning).

4) All dishes and pots, pans etc. are cleaned the night before.
(Table is set usually using paper plates for even easier clean up).

Now, I wake up and breakfast is done four days of the five day week- (Hubby cooks on the weekends) I no longer dread waking up and having to prepare a meal at 6am!

So, now let's get back to my eldest son. My oldest son likes, well, he likes cookies and cakes. Each week he comes up with a cookie idea that he turns into a healthy breakfast. This week he wanted to have brownies for breakfast! I simply said, "Son, Just make it healthy."  He got busy. Below is the recipe he found at 'chocolate covered Katie:


Black Bean Brownies:
  • 1 1/2 cups black beans (1 15-oz can, drained and rinsed very well)
  • 2 tbsp cocoa powder 
  • 1/2 cup quick oats 
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup honey
  •  2 tbsp sugar 
  • 1/4 cup coconut 
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 cup to 2/3 cup chocolate chips
(My son doubled the recipe). 

Place all ingredients in food processor and blend until smooth. 
Pour into a greased 11x13 pan and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
Total Time: 15m
Yield: 9-12 brownies

We printed the recipe, and put it our "Breakfast Ideas" binder to be made over and over again!

So, what's for breakfast?  Tomorrow morning when I wake up, I will have a hot cuppa couffee with a brownie for breakfast! Mangia!

No comments:

Post a Comment