Tuesday, April 21, 2015

God's Football



Last weekend, during a time when my church friends were praying and singing out to God, I found myself sitting still and quite. With my eyes closed, and as I listened to all the beautiful voices praising God, the Lord gave me a vision.

I saw Jesus, bigger than life garbed in a football uniform. He was huge. Clutched in His arm was a football. I heard Him say, "You're my football" and He began to run. I could see the green field as He ran, but it wasn't empty. Football players began running toward us. They were big! Jesus kept running. He was unstoppable. Player after player ran toward us to tackle us, but as they came near enough to us to almost knock us down, they went down instead. Jesus said, "Nothing is going to stop me from taking you to the End Zone."

In the past when I would face a trial many friends would say, "Ellen, remember, God is with you." And although that was true, being a visual person I envisioned something that did not bring me peace. I would see Jesus standing next to me holding my hand, walking side-by-side with me. I didn't like it. That image made me feel very vulnerable, naked, and afraid. I still had to walk. I still could get attacked. Yes, He was with me, but He held only my hand.

Jesus said, "I'm not holding your hand, I'm holding you."

In the vision of Jesus running down the field of life, with trials coming in every size and coming in from every direction, Jesus was holding me and taking me to my destination. He wasn't asking me to run down the field and get clobbered by football players double my size. He carried me and battled the trial for me. I was safe. I wasn't afraid. I believed I was actually going to make it. The walk of life didn't feel frightening anymore. It was exciting to see how Jesus defeated the enemy. It was exciting to be making strides. It was exhilarating to believe that I was safe and not alone.

The verse, "God with us" means so much more to me now. It comes from the Old Testament and the New Testament:

"Devise your strategy, but it will be thwarted; propose your plan, but it will not stand, for God is with us." (Isaiah 8:10)

Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel." (Isaiah 7:14)

"The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel" (which means "God with us."). (Matthew 1:23)

Although I believe God gave this vision to me to encourage me, I know it was not just for me. If God wanted to give me a vision meant for me only it would have been something that I know about like ballet. I know NOTHING about football. I have never watched a game. Do not get me wrong, God is using this vision in my life, but I firmly believe it is for others to hold on to for themselves. I encourage you to claim this vision for your life as well. Jesus is your football player and you are His football. He is unstoppable. Call on Him and believe!

1 comment: