Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Praying for a Baby

I had an rare opportunity to pray
for a complete stranger
to have a baby!
 
Recently, I sold a high-chair and matching potty-chair on-line.
(I think it is the most darling set).



 
I've sold things before, but this time it was different.
 
When I met the lady who wanted my two items I asked her, (and I never do this), "Are you going to refinish them and resell them for a higher price?"  Her reply was simple, "No, I'm going to put them in my 'baby doll' room.
 
Completely confused I asked her, "What do you mean? What is a 'baby doll room?' (Yes, I can be a bit forward, God knows it and surprisingly, He uses it). She told me that her and her husband cannot have children and so they have dedicated a room in their home to baby dolls.
 
My heart filled with sadness for her. A true sadness. It was like I could feel her despair.
 
I asked her if I could pray for her. She actually said yes. I told her that I have six children, believe that God is the Giver of life and that I believe that if we pray He will hear our cry and answer our prayers.
 
I told her that I was going to pray to Jesus and asked her if she knew who He was.
She again said, "Yes." I placed my hand on her shoulder and began to pray. It was an amazing prayer time. I don't know if I can fully explain it. I felt the Lord showed me her heart was full of love for children. Then in my mind's eye, I saw her and her husband with children. There were many children. I got a sense that they were going to be a part of an orphanage. It was wild seeing a vision for someone I don't even know.
 
I said, "Amen," gave her a hug and we went our separate ways. I will most likely never see her or hear from her again, but my prayers are on going for her and her husband. I cannot stop praying for her.
 
As I walked away I realized two things: The first is how much the Lord has changed my heart. The old 'me' would have kept silent and criticized her in my heart. I would have laughed with friends in the retelling of this very story about how ridiculous she was for creating a baby doll's room. But as I have fallen more in love with Jesus, I have fallen in love with the ones He loves.  
 
In thinking about my encounter with her I also thought, "Why me?" Was she at a place of giving up on even hoping for a child? Were the people around her giving up too? Was there no one in her life that would pray and believe for and with her?
 
I think the neatest part of this whole story is that I never would have had the opportunity to pray for a complete stranger had I not tried to sell a high chair and traveled thirty minutes to deliver it to her! It just amazes me that God will use anyone who is willing to pray for His children in need. How many times had that woman cried out to God? She was waiting to hear Him or see Him respond. He had to answer her. He had to find someone willing to go. I believe He will find a reason to connect two people, even use the sale of a high chair, to get them together to pray, to encourage, to let them know that He is alive and hears the cry of their heart. 
 
I didn't know I was one, but I am so honored to be among those He calls.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment