Monday, February 25, 2013

Wisdom...hmmmm.

I've heard it said, "With great power comes great responsibility." Well, I've got tell you, with wisdom comes... grief and sorrow. I am presently reading the Book of Ecclesiastes and at the end of the first chapter  it reads: "For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief." (Ecclesiastes 1:18)

How can wisdom bring grief? Well, how did you feel the first time you heard about child abuse? I remember. I was in college and was required to attend a Child Abuse Seminar. I ignorantly assumed that abuse of the magnitude I was made to witness couldn't possibly be happening anymore. Upon viewing the slide show of children beaten, bruised, and burned awakened in me wisdom and I grieved over it. How about when you heard about prostitution and sex trafficking? I remember being completely horrified and I've felt great sorrow. I remember 9/11. I remember finding out that it wasn't an accident, but terrorism. The more we learn about what is going on in the world and in the hearts of men the more we will grieve.

So when I read the words, "For with much wisdom comes much sorrow;" my heart confirmed it.  Another saying, equally as true, but not a Biblical one is: "Ignorance is bliss." How true that was for me. For example: I remember a time in my early married life that I thought that to be submissive to my husband meant to turn off my brain and allow him to make all the decisions for us. I thought that my husband was to have our spiritual walk on his shoulders and basically that I was to have no responsibility or accountability. I really liked it. Being ignorant and not responsible means you never get in trouble with man or God. There is no confrontation of any kind. My husband made the decisions and if anything went wrong it was all his fault. But after a week or so in this very wrong and un-Biblical thinking I found that I am my own person, responsible to God for my actions, and thoughts and spiritual growth.

As I continue to read chapter after chapter in the book of Ecclesiastes the author also repeatedly says, "All is meaningless, a chasing after the wind." That can get a little depressing after a while, but then it hit me, 'with wisdom comes grief' and 'all is meaningless'-- IF you don't know the Lord, the power of the resurrection and hope of salvation!"  "Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God," (Psalm 42:5) With God's leading and help we can effect lives, change laws, and spread the Gospel. The amount of things we can do with God is limitless. Our hope is in God.

So, what's our decision going to be? Live blissfully ignorant?  Not search out the truth? Not challenge yourself or others to live in right standing with God. Turn your head to injustice? Let someone else do the work? When do we say, "With God all things are possible?" When do we really walk in that truth? When do we stop making excuses and take a stand? Or will we seek wisdom and allow God to use us in big and mighty ways to change the world for Him? I choose wisdom and hope in God. What will you choose?






No comments:

Post a Comment