Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Honey from Heaven

Today was just one of those days. It felt or seemed like every time I turned around someone was being hurt by a particular someone. It was a day of putting out fires, but by the end of the day I realized that the person, who caused much of the trouble, needed a real heart to heart with mommy.

As I began reminding this person of their words throughout the day, they began to see the problem I was seeing. There was a lack of self-control, a selfishness, and worst of all the tongue was used as a weapon.

We talked deeply about what God requires of us. How we are to emulate Him. How, no matter how we are treated by others, we are to be like Christ. We have decisions to make and we are responsible for all of those decisions. They agreed and even cried over their behavior.

I held my child and then I asked if they wanted to pray with me. Right before we prayed I believe the Lord spoke to me. He said, "I will touch their tongue with honey from heaven." I told them what I heard and asked then if they wanted the Lord to touch their tongue with the honey from heaven. I believed what the Lord was saying was that He would turn this bitter tongue to sweetness and bring healing. "Yes," was the reply.

As I prayed I saw an awesome vision of the Lord really touching her tongue with honey. I believed and felt hope for my child. I was so convicted that I prayed it too.

We hear in the book of James about taming the tongue and in Proverbs 15 how harsh our words tear down. I know the scriptures, but putting them into action hasn't always been easy. Seeing the vision of the Lord touching our tongues with the honey from heaven made me know that it's not in my strength to change, but the Lord's miracle touch. No, I'm not saying we are not responsible for our own actions. I am saying that our work is futile without His holy touch. I can work myself into a frenzy of self-control, have some success, but without His touch, His hope, His unconditional love for me, all that work puts me back under the law. We were set free from the law and are now under His grace. Submitting to Him each day, each hour if necessary, is our hope. HE is our healer.

"Submit yourselves, then, to God.
 Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 
Come near to God and he will come near to you."  (James 4:7-8)

We are not alone in our journey to righteousness-
we couldn't make it without Him no matter how hard we tried.



No comments:

Post a Comment