Friday, June 30, 2017

Morning Moments with God: Day 115

                        Image result for Book of Matthew
Day 115: Repent

Please read the Bible verses for today:
Matthew 26:69-75

Peter Disowns Jesus

69 "Now Peter was sitting out in the courtyard, and a servant girl came to him. “You also were with Jesus of Galilee,” she said.
70 But he denied it before them all. “I don’t know what you’re talking about,” he said.
71 Then he went out to the gateway, where another servant girl saw him and said to the people there, “This fellow was with Jesus of Nazareth.”
72 He denied it again, with an oath: “I don’t know the man!”
73 After a little while, those standing there went up to Peter and said, “Surely you are one of them; your accent gives you away.”
74 Then he began to call down curses, and he swore to them, “I don’t know the man!”
Immediately a rooster crowed. 75 Then Peter remembered the word Jesus had spoken: Before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times. And he went outside and wept bitterly." (Matthew 26:69-75)
In the Book of Luke it says, "Just as he was speaking, the rooster crowed. 61 The Lord turned and looked straight at Peter. Then Peter remembered the word the Lord had spoken to him: “Before the rooster crows today, you will disown me three times.” 62 And he went outside and wept bitterly." (Luke 22:60b-62) 
Out of the eleven faithful apostles only two followed closely behind Jesus to His trial: John and Peter. Peter was there waiting and watching for the outcome of Jesus' trial. To me, that was brave. Peter watched or heard how they treated Jesus. He heard them declare Jesus as a blasphemer and His death. He possibly saw them blindfold Jesus and beat Him. (By the way, those that were beating Jesus are the teachers of the Law, and the Sanhedrin - the holy men of Israel. How shocking would it have been to hear or see that! The holy priests of the temple gave an unfair trial at four in the morning and than beat Jesus. I would have been scared too, and shocked). 
As the trial was ending the people who were around noticed Peter. They accuse Peter of knowing Jesus. After what Peter just witnessed, (the behavior and anger of the Sanhedrin towards Jesus), Peter was afraid of it happening to himself. As we all know, Peter denies Jesus three times. I think the hardest part if when it says in the Book of Luke, "The Lord turned and looked straight at Peter. Then Peter remembered the word the Lord had spoken to him..." (Luke 22:61) Jesus heard or saw and knew that Peter denied Him. But like I said when we read Matthew 26:34 when Jesus predicted that Peter would deny Him, Jesus knew and still said, 32" But after I have risen, I will go ahead of you into Galilee.” (Matthew 26:32) Jesus knew Peter would deny Him three times, but also knew Peter's heart of repentance and was looking forward to seeing him again in Galilee. 
I think the most important lesson of these verses about Peter's denial is that Peter wept. Peter realized what he did and was sorry for it. He didn't look back at Jesus and walk away like he didn't care about what he just did. No, Peter wept bitterly. Peter sinned. We sin. Do we weep over our sin? Do we repent for the things we do wrong? We know what is right and yet we sin. Are we sorry? Remember, Jesus looks at the heart. 
Pray with me:
Jesus, thank you for your relentless love and forgiveness. I repent for the things you know that I do that are not in your will for my life. Help me, Lord, to turn from them and live for you. Convict my heart of my sin that I may repent and be set free. In Jesus' Name, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment