Thursday, June 15, 2017

Morning Moments with God: Day 104 (Matthew 25)

                              Image result for Book of Matthew
Day 104: Be Ready 2

Please read the Bible verses for today:
Matthew 25:1-13

The Parable of the Ten Virgins

25 At that time the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom. Five of them were foolish and five were wise. The foolish ones took their lamps but did not take any oil with them. The wise ones, however, took oil in jars along with their lamps. The bridegroom was a long time in coming, and they all became drowsy and fell asleep." (Matthew 25:1-5)
My the commentary I use, The One Volume Bible Commentary edited by J.R. Dummelow, has taught me much concerning this story. "The ten virgins are not simply Christians, but good Christians..." The number ten, "was chosen because among the Jews it was a complete number." The 'lamps' are all that is outward in the life of professing Christians, as the oil is all that is inward." (page 705) "Oil is the symbol of the Holy Spirit, and of inward sanctification. Here it stands for all that is earnest and sincere in the Christian life: secret prayer, faith, humility, charity and good works." (page 705) 
So, we have ten Christians waiting for their 'bridegroom'- Jesus. They are waiting for Jesus' second coming. Five of the Christians are ready and waiting, but five are foolish. "There is nothing insincere about them, they are only foolish and shallow. They have some oil, that is, some genuine religion, but not enough. They are like those in the parable of the sower who have no depth of earth. They endure for a time, but cannot carry through what they have begun. Their stock of perseverance and patience is soon exhausted, and their lamps go out."
“At midnight the cry rang out: ‘Here’s the bridegroom! Come out to meet him!’
“Then all the virgins woke up and trimmed their lamps. The foolish ones said to the wise, ‘Give us some of your oil; our lamps are going out.’
“‘No,’ they replied, ‘there may not be enough for both us and you. Instead, go to those who sell oil and buy some for yourselves.’
"For each individual soul will receive the reward for this own deeds, nor in the day of judgment can the virtues of one make amends for the vices of another." (page 706) This is interesting to me, I never thought of it on my own. Some think they will make it into heaven because their mother or grandmother were always praying for them, or that they went to church every Sunday as a kid and that it has to count for something, but it doesn't count. We need to profess Jesus as our Lord, and live for Him daily. We cannot think that an insincere faith is faith at all or that we can live off someone else's faith. I tell my children, now that they are growing up and facing trials in their own life that, "This is where your faith springs up and takes action. This is where your faith is like the rubber hitting the road. You need to own your faith. Establish your own testimonies. Make your faith real for your own life." They have listened to me talk about Jesus. They have heard my testimony and my faith. They have agreed in prayer with me, but now it's time for them to make their faith their own and know Jesus as their Lord. There is a transition to their faith and we as parents need to help them get on their own path of faith with Jesus. 
10 “But while they were on their way to buy the oil, the bridegroom arrived. The virgins who were ready went in with him to the wedding banquet. And the door was shut.
11 “Later the others also came. ‘Lord, Lord,’ they said, ‘open the door for us!’
12 “But he replied, ‘Truly I tell you, I don’t know you.’
13 “Therefore keep watch, because you do not know the day or the hour." (Matthew 25:1-13)
If this story doesn't wake up your faith to get it together and be ready, I'm not sure what will. Yesterday I entitled my article from a few verses in Matthew 24, "Be Ready." Jesus is telling us again, Be Ready!!! Don't wait until tomorrow to make things right with Him. Don't wait for tomorrow to give your life to Jesus, be filled with Holy Spirit and live for Him. Today is all we have- start living for Jesus.

Pray with me:
Father, thank you for your constant desire to know me and to be close to me. Thank you that you call me to your heart. Thank you for reminding me to be ready. Awakening in me areas that I have shut down and hidden from you. Expose my heart and make it clean. I want to be ready for your return. I love you, Jesus. In Jesus' Name, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment