Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Morning Moments with God: Day 108

                            Image result for Book of Matthew
Day 108: Who is Jesus to You?

Please read the Bible verses for today:
Matthew 26:6-13

Jesus Anointed at Bethany

6 "While Jesus was in Bethany in the home of Simon the Leper..." (Matthew 26:6) Can we just stop and read that verse again? "While Jesus was in Bethany in the home of Simon the Leper..." (Matthew 26:6) Now, we know that lepers did not live in a home and entertain company because leprosy is a highly contagious disease, so why is he 'Simon the Leper?' Well, I looked it up in my commentary and it said that he was once a leper and Jesus healed him. So, his nickname, if you will, is 'Simon the Leper.' (If I was Simon I would have wanted to be known as Simon the healed). All this to say, Jesus is entering the house of a man He knew and that Simon knew Him. Simon personally knew that Jesus was more than a teacher and a prophet. Simon, in my mind, had to know that Jesus was God.

 7 "a woman came to him with an alabaster jar of very expensive perfume, which she poured on his head as he was reclining at the table." (Matthew 26:7) 
This story appears in the Book of Mark also. In Mark's story the woman who anointed Jesus head was Mary, the sister to Martha and Lazarus. This woman, Mary, was also in a position to believe that Jesus was more than a teacher and a prophet. Jesus raised her brother Lazarus from the dead! Mary, in my mind, had to know Jesus was God. In her gratefulness and love, out of the overflow of her heart she anointed Jesus' head.
When the disciples saw this, they were indignant. “Why this waste?” they asked. “This perfume could have been sold at a high price and the money given to the poor.” (Matthew 26:8-9)
The disciples have been with Jesus for three years, listened to Him teach, watched Him heal every disease, saw the love in His eyes for all people, surely they know that He is God. How is it than that they do not see what Mary did as a beautiful thing? How can they think that to pour expensive oil to anoint Jesus would be a waste? I would think it would have been a holy moment. A reverent moment. A moment to be quiet and still. But I know for myself I am stupid like that too. I miss the God moments. The Holy Spirit moments and have to be told to sit still and be quiet. 
10 Aware of this, Jesus said to them, Why are you bothering this woman? She has done a beautiful thing to me. 11 The poor you will always have with you, but you will not always have me. 12 When she poured this perfume on my body, she did it to prepare me for burial.13 Truly I tell you, wherever this gospel is preached throughout the world, what she has done will also be told, in memory of her.” (Matthew 26:10-13) 

Jesus is so wonderful. He doesn't rebuke them and say, 'Guys, when are you going to get it! I AM GOD! What Mary is doing is the right thing! Wake up before it's too late!' No, He gently reminds them- 'the poor you will always have, but as for me, I will be dying soon and no longer here. She is preparing my body for my death.'

Everyone in the room knew Jesus' power. Everyone in the room believed He was God. But only one person understood His mission.

Pray with me:
Jesus, thank you for leaving Heaven and coming to earth to be like one of us. Thank you that you lived among us, healed the sick, raised the dead, pointed us to God the Father. Thank you that you died on the cross for my sin so that I might be reconciled to the Father. Thank you for rising again and making a way for me to be in Heaven with you one day. Thank you. I love you Jesus. In Jesus' Name, Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment