Monday, June 26, 2017

Morning Moments with God: Day 111

                          Image result for Book of Matthew
Day 111: Jesus Knows Our Sin

Please read the Bible verses for today:
Matthew 26:31-35

Jesus Predicts Peter’s Denial

31 Then Jesus told them, This very night you will all fall away on account of me, for it is written:
“‘I will strike the shepherd,
    and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.’
32 But after I have risen, I will go ahead of you into Galilee.” (Matthew 26:31-32)

I personally cannot imagine hearing these words, This very night you will all fall away on account of me, for it is written: “‘I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.’ (Matthew 26:31) Putting myself in the the apostle's shoes, I cannot imagine hearing Jesus say to me that I would betray Him or abandon Him after following Him for three years, listening to His message, and witnessing miracle after miracle. I don't ever want to hear those words for my life today. I know that I may go through persecution for my faith and I hope that I will stay strong. I want to believe that I would not 'scatter,' or betray Him. I believe these words were hard for the apostles to hear, but Jesus says something else, 32 But after I have risen, I will go ahead of you into Galilee.” (Matthew 26:32) After He has risen, which implies He had to have died, Jesus says, I will go ahead of you into Galilee. I see that as Jesus saying, 'Okay guys, tonight is going to be pretty bad- you are all going to betray me. Yes, that's sad, but it will get worse. I will be handed over to the chief priests because of Judas, I will be tried, and crucified, BUT hear me, there is good news to all of this, I will RISE AGAIN and come back and meet you in Galilee!' But as humans all we hear is the doom and gloom. The disciples completely miss verse thirty-two because they are so upset about verse thirty-one . And I think why it is so sad that they missed what Jesus said is because in saying that He will meet them in Galilee He is saying, "It's all going to be okay. Just because you abandon me, doesn't mean I will abandon you. I will still love you after the betrayal and I look forward to meeting up with you in Galilee." How awesome is Jesus! He knows our sin, He knows it before we even commit it, but He knows our hearts too. He knows we will repent, so He looks at the heart and is excited about meeting with us! But the disciples completely miss this and I have to say, I'm just like that too-Watch...
33 "Peter replied, “Even if all fall away on account of you, I never will.”
34 Truly I tell you,” Jesus answered, this very night, before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times.” (Matthew 26:33-34)
Jesus has to prove to Peter that Peter will betray Him by telling Peter that he will betray Jesus three times before the sun even comes up or the rooster crows. We never want our sin pointed out. We never want our weakness shown, but if Jesus is pointing it out, it's okay because there is forgiveness. We need to sit still and allow Jesus to show us our faults, sin, failures, so we can be healed. We do not need to defend ourselves to Jesus or hide our sin, we need our sin revealed so we can find healing and forgiveness from it. I'm not saying it's easy, I don't like it when I see my own sin, it's horrible actually, but once I see it I have the choice to repent and be set free and that is what I ultimately desire- freedom from sin. 
35" But Peter declared, “Even if I have to die with you, I will never disown you.” And all the other disciples said the same." (Matthew 26:35) 
Pray with me:
Jesus, reveal to me my sin. Reveal the sin in my life that keeps me from you-that keeps me tucked away in shame and guilt. Reveal any generational sin too. Lord, help me to allow my sin to be exposed so that I may repent, be forgiven and set free. Lord, help me to allow you to wash me from my sin that I may live my life to glorify your name. Purify my heart, my mind and my spirit. In Jesus' Name, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment