Friday, June 16, 2017

Morning Moments with God: Day 105

                              Image result for Book of Matthew
Day 105: Are You Using Your Talents for God?

Please read the Bible verses for today:
Matthew 25:14-30

The Parable of the Bags of Gold

14 Again, it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted his wealth to them. 15 To one he gave five bags of gold, to another two bags, and to another one bag, each according to his ability. Then he went on his journey. 16 The man who had received five bags of gold went at once and put his money to work and gained five bags more. 17 So also, the one with two bags of gold gained two more. 18 But the man who had received one bag went off, dug a hole in the ground and hid his master’s money.
It specifically says, "...each according to his ability." So, the master knew what each person was capable of doing with the money that was given to them. He knew their gifts and talents and trusted that they would use them with the money he entrusted to them.
19 After a long time the master of those servants returned and settled accounts with them. 20 The man who had received five bags of gold brought the other five. ‘Master,’ he said, ‘you entrusted me with five bags of gold. See, I have gained five more.’
21 His master replied, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things.Come and share your master’s happiness!"
"Well, done, good and faithful servant!" Is what I yearn to hear Jesus say to me, but I live in fear and am not able to complete the tasks set before me. "You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things." I am not in charge of many things because I am too afraid to be faithful in the few things He has put before me. For example, I believe God gave me the vision for a Preschool Curriculum. I saw it, I made it. Now, God wants me to sell it, but I am too afraid to move it that calling. It feels overwhelming to somehow get it on the market, understand? So, the published books are sitting in a box =( 
22 The man with two bags of gold also came. ‘Master,’ he said, ‘you entrusted me with two bags of gold; see, I have gained two more.’
23 His master replied, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things.Come and share your master’s happiness!’
24 Then the man who had received one bag of gold came. ‘Master,’ he said, ‘I knew that you are a hard man, harvesting where you have not sown and gathering where you have not scattered seed. 25 So I was afraid and went out and hid your gold in the ground. See, here is what belongs to you.’
I remember the first time I read this I thought, 'That was a good idea! He didn't spend it or loose it. He gave his master the money back.' 
26 His master replied, ‘You wicked, lazy servant! So you knew that I harvest where I have not sown and gather where I have not scattered seed? 27 Well then, you should have put my money on deposit with the bankers, so that when I returned I would have received it back with interest.
Then I thought, 'Oh yeah, he could have put it in a bank.' Putting it under the rock was safe. Putting in the bank was safe too and more efficient.
28 “‘So take the bag of gold from him and give it to the one who has ten bags. 29 For whoever has will be given more, and they will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what they have will be taken from them. 30 And throw that worthless servant outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’ (Matthew 25:14-30)
My, One Volume Bible Commentary, says, "The parable is intended for all Christians, warning even those of the meanest ability to use to the best advantage the talents with which God has entrusted them if they would share in the future Kingdome of Christ." 
Recently, I said to my pastor's wife, "You go and talk with people, I'll just sit here and be shy." Later she came to me and said, "Do you really think you are shy?" I thought about it and responded, "When I do not feel safe, I feel shy." She then asked me to think about what makes me feel unsafe. I knew the answer immediately. The fear of going up to someone is held with the thought, 'Something is going to be said and I will be hurt.' I am afraid of getting hurt. I have many wonderful friends that I feel safe with and don't need more friends for the basic fear that one new person will upset the balance and hurt me. Why am I sharing this? Well, God just so happened to give me an extrovert personality, an incredible love for people and I might add an ability to make great conversation with a wall, let alone strangers. I have been given a great 'talent' to talk with people, but I fail to use it. I am the servant who hid his talent under a rock! I have been too afraid to use my gifts. But being so convicted by my pastor's wife and this Scripture, I will be making my rounds at church on Sunday, talking to many and making new friends! I will face this fear with Jesus and He will help me to stand, and hopefully bless people while He's at it! 
Pray with me:
Thank you, Jesus, that your Word is alive and active today! Thank you for convicting my heart and challenging me to trust you more deeply. I do trust you, Jesus. Lord, my heart wants to be faithful in the little so that I will be entrusted with more. I want to live for you and not cower in fear. Set me free, Lord. In Jesus' Name, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment