Friday, April 28, 2017

Morning Moments with God: Day 75

                               Image result for Book of Matthew
Day 75: Money Doesn't Worry Jesus

Please read the Bible verses for today:
Matthew 17:24-27

The Temple Tax

24 After Jesus and his disciples arrived in Capernaum, the collectors of the two-drachma temple tax came to Peter and asked, “Doesn’t your teacher pay the temple tax?” (Matthew 17:24)
This was a temple tax, not a tax from the Roman government. This tax was collected once a year from every male over the age of twenty for the upkeep of the temple. (Commentary)
25 “Yes, he does,” he replied." (Matthew 17:25)
I love that Jesus paid the taxes. He was on earth for a heavenly reason, but because He was on earth, so, He followed it laws and rules obediently. 
"When Peter came into the house, Jesus was the first to speak. What do you think, Simon? he asked. From whom do the kings of the earth collect duty and taxes—from their own children or from others?
26 “From others,” Peter answered.
Then the children are exempt,” Jesus said to him. 27 But so that we may not cause offense, go to the lake and throw out your line. Take the first fish you catch; open its mouth and you will find a four-drachma coin. Take it and give it to them for my tax and yours.” (Matthew 17:25b-27)
Three things:
1- My commentary says, 'the sons are exempt. The implication is that Peter and the rest of the disciples belonged to God's royal household, but unbelieving Jews did not." 
2- Jesus says, "But so that we may not cause offense..." Jesus was teaching them not to offend. I love it. We can choose to hold our tongue and keep from offending people or not. We have the choice. 
3- Jesus pays the tax from the money Peter gets from inside the mouth of a fish! If that doesn't tell you that 'God owns the cattle on a thousand hills' (Psalm 50) I don't know what would. "He Owns the Cattle on a Thousand Hills" is an article I wrote about how God answered my prayer- it is a truly great story! 
Pray with me:
Jesus thank you that nothing worries you. Money doesn't even worry you. I seem to worry about money all the time. I worry about the house, books for homeschooling, braces for the kids, etc. Father, help me to remember that I am your child and you own the cattle on a thousand hills. I do not need to worry about any of it. You have always provided for me. I love you, Lord. Help me to trust you in every area of my life. In Jesus' Name, Amen. 




No comments:

Post a Comment