Monday, April 17, 2017

Morning Moments with God: Day 66

                                     Image result for Book of Matthew
Day 66: Humble or Entitled?

Please read the Bible verses for today:
Matthew 15: 21-28

The Faith of a Canaanite Woman

21 "Leaving that place, Jesus withdrew to the region of Tyre and Sidon.22 A Canaanite woman from that vicinity came to him, crying out, “Lord, Son of David, have mercy on me! My daughter is demon-possessed and suffering terribly.”
23 Jesus did not answer a word. So his disciples came to him and urged him, “Send her away, for she keeps crying out after us.”
24 He answered, I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel.”
25 The woman came and knelt before him. “Lord, help me!” she said.
26 He replied, It is not right to take the children’s bread and toss it to the dogs.”
27 “Yes it is, Lord,” she said. “Even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their master’s table.”
28 Then Jesus said to her, Woman, you have great faith! Your request is granted.” And her daughter was healed at that moment." 

I remember when I read this story for the first time and how confused I was. I grew up Catholic in a Jewish neighborhood and it was clear that Jesus was not their God. Jesus was for the Christians, was my understanding, until I read this Scripture. Jesus was Jewish- I remember that being a shocking thought. And Jesus came first to the Jewish people- the Gospel was for them. We read in the book of Acts that even Peter struggled with the idea of preaching the Gospel to the Gentile, but it is in the book of Acts where Peter is set free from only preaching to the Jewish people and begins to spread the Gospel to the Gentiles too. 
So, here we have a woman, not Jewish, 'crying after Jesus' to heal her demon-possessed daughter and Jesus is silent. The first time I read that Jesus wouldn't heal her was shocking to me. I believe Jesus wanted to heal her, but He also wanted the Jewish crowd to hear the faith of a woman who wasn't Jewish. 

The woman recognizes that Jesus is God and that He had come for His people, but she is persistent and tells Him she will take, 'a crumb of healing'- a touch, anything from Him would be a blessing. But you know, this could have totally gone another way. She could have allowed her pride to rise up and begin yelling at Jesus. I can hear another response from her in my mind, "How dare you call me a 'dog.' How dare you heal your own and not others! How dare you call yourself God and not care about all of us!" She could have even called Him racist! I'm pretty sure if this encounter happened today, that is exactly what the woman would have done. She would not have heard His words, humbled herself and accepted God's answer. This Canaanite woman deserves our respect. Her humility is admirable, and not what we see too much today. 
Jesus sees her faith and her humility and rewards her. The woman's daughter was healed that very hour.

I think in today's society we: a) expect to get whatever we want and b) expect to get it now. There is an 'entitlement' attitude floating around us and many have grabbed onto it. They think they should be able to live the way they see in the movies or have what they want without working for it, without fighting for it, without- simply- waiting for it. Jesus has a plan, a good plan, and we need to trust Him and wait on Him.

I know for my own personal life after I have watched the HGTV shows, I have not felt content. I look at my house and want to tear down walls, extend the house, put in all hardwood floors and have the 'open concept with the big kitchen island.' I have felt frustrated especially when we cannot afford to complete one home improvement job. I know in my mind what we can and cannot afford. I know in my mind that it's immaterial and I don't need a huge home improvement, but there are times when I want what I want and I want it now- entitlement. Jesus isn't about entitlement. Jesus is about humility. Jesus is about having a relationship with us. Jesus wants us to seek after Him and know Him. In knowing Him we see the blessings. Now I'm not saying that because I have quiet time every day with Jesus and serve in the church, that God is going to bless us with $30,000 to do a home reno, what I am saying is that Jesus wants our hearts first and foremost. And I have seen Jesus bless me and my home in ways I haven't even prayed for. Jesus has a plan and I trust Him. My house is cozy and I love it and I am content in my heart to stay here because I know too that if Jesus wanted us to move or do renovations He would certainly provide it. I am not worried about it- that is, until I watch another HGTV program! I'm not perfect. I struggle from time to time waiting for my dreams to come true, but I will wait because I want Jesus' perfect plan and His perfect timing for my life.

Pray with me:
Jesus, thank you for this story. Thank you for blessing this woman who was persistent and humble. I pray that I would be persistent in my prayers for my husband, children, friends and for the prayers in my heart. Help me to trust you and your timing for all things in my life. Forgive me for my entitlement attitude. Forgive me for not trusting you- God of the universe! Change my heart and make me humble and patient. I love you with all my heart and want to live in contentment and peace with all that you have for me today. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment