Thursday, April 20, 2017

Morning Moments with God: 70

                                   Image result for Book of Matthew
Day 70:

Please read the Bible verses for today:
Matthew 16:13-20

Peter Declares That Jesus Is the Messiah

13 When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, Who do people say the Son of Man is?”
14 They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”
15 “But what about you?” he asked. Who do you say I am?”

Take a moment. Answer Jesus' question: "Who do you say I am?" Who do you believe Jesus is? I've been thinking about how to describe my faith to someone and I've come up with: God is God and I believe Him. That's my faith in a nutshell. It answers every question. Why does God love me? God is God and I believe Him. Why did God allow Dad to die? God is God and I believe Him. I believe Jesus is God- God of the universe and creator of all living things. I believe God-Jesus died for my sins, rose again with healing in His wings and sits on the throne of God in heaven. I believe that Jesus is greater and smarter than me. I believe He loves and is more compassionate than me. I believe God has a plan and it is a good one. I believe whatever happens in my life, as I have yielded my life to Him, He is with me and is guiding me on the best path for my life. I trust Him. 
16 Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”
17 Jesus replied, Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven. 18 And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”20 Then he ordered his disciples not to tell anyone that he was the Messiah." (Matthew 16: 13-20) 

There are many different interpretations of what Jesus meant when He said, "And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it." I'm not sure exactly what Jesus meant, but when I look at Peter's life and what He allowed God to do through him, I think Peter was the rock of the church. He was the one who waited for Holy Spirit and the tongues of fire to come! He was the one who had the vision, "11 He saw heaven opened and something like a large sheet being let down to earth by its four corners. 12 It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles and birds.13 Then a voice told him, “Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.” (Acts 10:11-13) It was through Peter that the converted Jews were set free from the Law of only eating certain foods. But what comes to me as I'm rereading Jesus' words to Peter is that Jesus knows that Peter will betray Him and still God will use him to spread the Gospel of our risen Lord to the ends of the earth. Jesus' words may have been to encourage Peter in the time Jesus was suffering on the cross and Peter felt guilt and shame. Maybe these very words of Jesus were ringing in his ears when Peter was at his lowest. I know for me, when I am at my lowest I run to the words of Jesus. He is my comfort. 

Pray with me:
Jesus, thank you for who you are. Thank you for being my God- the God who heals the masses, the God who selflessly gives up His own quiet time to allow the crowds to follow you, the God who is wise, the God who is not afraid of man, the God who speaks truth no matter the consequence, the God who rewards His followers and encourages them. Thank you for calling me your own. In Jesus' Name, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment