Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Morning Moments with God: Day 58

                                  Image result for Book of Matthew
Day 58: The Kingdom of Heaven is Poweful

Please read the Bible verse for today:
Matthew 13:31-35

The Parables of the Mustard Seed and the Yeast

31 He told them another parable: The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed, which a man took and planted in his field. 32 Though it is the smallest of all seeds, yet when it grows, it is the largest of garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds come and perch in its branches.” (Matthew 13:31-32)
"He told them another parable..." (Matthew 13:31a) So far in Matthew chapter thirteen we have read two parables: The Parable of the Sower and The Parable of the Weeds. Today we will read another parable. It is interesting to me that the entire thirteenth chapter of Matthew is composed only of parables that Jesus spoke to the crowd. I like things like that- it helps me to remember where to find the Scriptures I'm looking for. All of the famous parables are in Matthew chapter 13. 
Anyway, let's look at the actual parable! "The Kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed..." (Matthew 13:31-32) So, there are two things that have been revealed to me: 1) My Bible commentary says that this parable is about how the Good News, the mustard seed, started out with one man- Jesus, and the Gospel spread through the disciples, and through others, until now it has been heard around the whole world. That's a pretty incredible thought. 2) When I have read this Scripture I have always thought it to be how the Gospel started as a mustard seed in my own heart, and how I have grown and grown in Christ that others can know Jesus through me. It's a parable of hope. I started out hearing the Gospel and it was just for me, but I have grown and can continue to grow to be a blessing to others. The Kingdom of God changes lives.
33 He told them still another parable: The kingdom of heaven is like yeast that a woman took and mixed into about sixty pounds of flour until it worked all through the dough.” (Matthew 13:33) I love that the kingdom of heaven is compared to yeast. Every Friday I make homemade pizza dough. In the times that I have forgotten to add the yeast, we've eaten flat pizza and no one likes it, but when I remember the yeast, I make Sicilian pizza. The bread rises, doubles in size and it's delicious! The Kingdom of heaven is like yeast- it goes into lives, into the world and it's effect is tremendous!
sicily
34 Jesus spoke all these things to the crowd in parables; he did not say anything to them without using a parable. 35 So was fulfilled what was spoken through the prophet:
“I will open my mouth in parables,
    I will utter things hidden since the creation of the world.”
 (Matthew 13:34-35)

Pray with me:
Father, thank you for your Holy Spirit who opens my eyes and heart to read and understand your Word. Thank you for the hope of the Kingdom of Heaven! Thank you for beginning the work two thousand years ago so that I may know you today. Help me to spread your Word to others. In Jesus' Name, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment