Thursday, April 13, 2017

Morning Moments with God: Day 64

                        Image result for Book of Matthew

Day 64: Allow Jesus to Build Your Faith

Please read the Bible verse for today:
Matthew 14:22-36

Jesus Walks on the Water

22 "Immediately Jesus made the disciples get into the boat and go on ahead of him to the other side, while he dismissed the crowd. 23 After he had dismissed them, he went up on a mountainside by himself to pray. Later that night, he was there alone, 24 and the boat was already a considerable distance from land, buffeted by the waves because the wind was against it." (Matthew 14:22-24) In Matthew 14:13-14, our reading for Day 63, we found that after Jesus found out that John the Baptist had died, Jesus went to a remote place to be alone, but a large crowd followed. It's wonderful to see in today's reading that Jesus took the time He needed to be alone that night, after He had ministered to the people. It's a good lesson for me. Many, many, many times my quiet, solitary plans get interrupted and I just think, 'Well, I tried. Better luck tomorrow.' But seeing Jesus' plans get interrupted and yet He still made sure He had some time to pray, as late in the evening as it was, is a great lesson. 
25 "Shortly before dawn Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake.26 When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. “It’s a ghost,” they said, and cried out in fear.
27 But Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.” 
28 “Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.”
29 “Come,” he said.
Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. 30 But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!”
31 Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?” (Matthew 14:25 30) 
So, the story is, the disciples got into a boat, and set sail while Jesus was having His quiet, prayer time. Jesus prayed for a long time and the disciples were a good distance from the land. Jesus, wanting to join them, walked on water to get to them! How awesome is that!!! Jesus will do whatever it takes to be with us. He will walk on water, die on a cross, because He wants to be with us. Now, I've heard many pastors talk on this story, and even friends comment on it, it's always the same- "How could Peter doubt? He was WITH Jesus!" My stand has always been, I would have been the guy in the boat just so overjoyed to see Jesus I would have said, "Come Jesus I'll make room for you in the boat." I never would have even thought to ask Jesus to let ME walk on water. Peter had incredible faith and an incredible desire to know and be a part of everything Jesus was about. I think it took great faith to have even walked one step on water. Now, as for Peter sinking, Jesus says, "You of little faith, why did you doubt?" All I can think is, that must be what Jesus says to me every day! I know and believe Jesus is with me, and yet I get anxious and worried. I do not trust Him in EVERY area of my life and I should. Each day I try to, 'walk on water' in faith and each day I stress out over one thing or another, and sink into the cold water. And Jesus always rescues me! One day I am believing that I will be unafraid, not stressful, calm, patient, and completely a joyous person one-hundred percent of the time-that is my prayer.

32 "And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down. 33 Then those who were in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.”
34 When they had crossed over, they landed at Gennesaret. 35 And when the men of that place recognized Jesus, they sent word to all the surrounding country. People brought all their sick to him 36 and begged him to let the sick just touch the edge of his cloak, and all who touched it were healed." (Matthew 14:32-36) First: The disciples saw it and said it- Jesus is the Son of God. I wonder why seeing Jesus walk on water made them realize it. Why not all the miracles? Jesus knew they hadn't figured it out and that they needed more- so He walked on water for them. Jesus is so gentle. He helps us grow our faith. Second: Jesus had never stops amazing me! He ministered to the people the whole day before-talking to them, healing them and feeding five-thousand. Then, He had quiet time with God. After that, He walked on water and increased His disciples faith. They land at Gennesaret and begin to minister to all the people there! What's the lesson? Jesus NEVER tires of us. He loves us. He will work tirelessly to bring healing, and ease our minds. He is on our side and wants to be close to us. His selflessness shames my selfishness. 

Pray with me:
Jesus, how can I ever thank you for the words in Matthew 14? I love seeing and learning more about who you are. You are loving, gracious, selfless. You love your people and will make any sacrifice for them. Thank you for loving me. Thank you for building my faith to follow more closely to you. As I read the Scriptures, I love watching you give your time to the people. Thank you for that reminder that you make time for me. I love you with all my heart. In Jesus' Name, Amen. 

I encourage you to begin your day listening to the words of this song and receiving the healing that you have long cried out for. 
Jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment