Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Morning Moments with God: Day 63

                                Image result for Book of Matthew

Day 63: Jesus Never Tires of Us

Please read the Bible verse for today:
Matthew 14:13-21

Jesus Feeds the Five Thousand

13 "When Jesus heard what had happened, he withdrew by boat privately to a solitary place." (Matthew 14:13a) Jesus withdrew to a quiet place after he heard that his cousin, John the Baptist, was beheaded by Herod's order. John, at the time, was the only family or friend that believed that Jesus was the Son of God. He had just come from His hometown of Nazareth where He was rejected and no miracles could be performed due to the lack of faith. John the Baptist was the only person on earth to understand the calling and he was gone. The Bible doesn't say it, so this is my own thoughts, but because Jesus was one-hundred percent God and one-hundred percent human, the human side of Him was sad and maybe even feeling lonely. I say this because it is a good reminder that Jesus felt everything we feel. He knows what it is to be misunderstood, rejected and to loose family to loose the only person who understands you. 

"Hearing of this, the crowds followed him on foot from the towns. 14 When Jesus landed and saw a large crowd, he had compassion on them and healed their sick." (Matthew 14:13b-14) The crowds found out where Jesus went and followed after Him. When Jesus arrived at His destination- a quiet, solitary place to mourn the death of John the Baptist- he was greeted by a large crowd! I've got to be honest, if I went to find peace and quiet and desired to be alone, but a large crowd was there to greet me instead, I would be so frustrated. But not Jesus. "..he had compassion on them and healed their sick." (Matthew 14:14) Jesus had compassion, not frustration, with the people. 
15 "As evening approached, the disciples came to him and said, “This is a remote place, and it’s already getting late. Send the crowds away, so they can go to the villages and buy themselves some food.” (Matthew 14:15) The large crowd, the disciples and Jesus were in that remote place that Jesus went to be alone. They are all still with Him-all day! Jesus had not talked with them a bit and healed some or all and than sent them away- they are all still hanging around! I can see myself having compassion and ministering for a while, but it would have to have an ending or stopping point. They would need to all go home. The disciples went to Jesus not in an attitude like, "Hey, Jesus, we've dealt with these people all day, isn't time for 'just us' time? It's time to send these people away." They went to Jesus concerned about the people's need to find food." I'm impressed, but Jesus' response, to me, is classic. 
16 "Jesus replied, They do not need to go away. You give them something to eat.” (Matthew 14:16) First, Jesus says, "They do not need to go away." Wow! I would need them to go away. I love people and I love ministering to people, but Jesus just found out that John the Baptist died. Jesus' love for people, His people, His creation, is far above my understanding and ability. He loves them and has compassion on them and He invites them to stay as long as they want. Second, Jesus, knowing that the disciples cannot give the crowd food says, "You give them something to eat." I think Jesus is seeing if they will perform a miracle of love for the people. They could do it. Jesus anointed them to heal the sick and create miracles when they went out two by two. I think Jesus is testing them or perhaps opening their eyes to another kind of miracle- the miracle of providing food from nothing.
17 “We have here only five loaves of bread and two fish,” they answered.
18 Bring them here to me,” he said. 19 And he directed the people to sit down on the grass. Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then he gave them to the disciples, and the disciples gave them to the people. 20 They all ate and were satisfied, and the disciples picked up twelve basketfuls of broken pieces that were left over. 21 The number of those who ate was about five thousand men, besides women and children." (Matthew 14:17-21) Jesus is so amazing. Jesus satisfied the peoples need to be near Him and talk with Him even when He wanted to be alone. Jesus put people first. He cares about people and their heart needs, but in this story we also see how Jesus cared about their physical needs. He provided food for over five thousand people! 

Pray with me:
Thank you, Jesus, for letting me see your heart. You love me. You are never bothered by me. You have compassion on me and would never send me away. Thank you for always drawing me nearer and nearer. Thank you too for your abundant provision in my life. I love you, Jesus. Help me to never forget your heart for me. In Jesus' Name, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment