Thursday, February 9, 2017

The Book of Matthew: Morning Moments with God, Day 19

                             Image result for Book of Matthew

Day 19: Be Filled in HIS Love

Please take some time to read the Bible verses for the day:
Matthew 6: 1-4

“Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.
“So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
“Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. I remember a time in my life where I did just the opposite of what Jesus is saying in verse one. I was so insecure and felt so unloved, that I looked for attention in any way I could find it. I would purposely do wonderful things, 'righteous' things, in front of people just so they would compliment me. I was hungry for attention, or a word of encouragement. I look back now and feel sad for the person I once was. How sad it was to be so discontented in my own heart. I was looking for people to love me, when Jesus was there all along. His perfect love casts out all fear! (1 John 4:18) "There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment." The first time I read this Scripture, I was convicted. Slowly the Lord filled me and I was able to do acts of service in private. 
I believe the Lord is always challenging us to look at our motives. To look at the motive of our heart. Are we helping another to bring glory to God or ourselves? Will people look at your life and see you sold out for God or sold out to yourself? Are you on a race to know Jesus better and live for Him or in a race, against others, to be better than everyone else and shine for their approval and attention? God is forever challenging us to die to ourselves and live for Him. And why not? His way is always better!
Pray with me:
Dear Jesus, thank you for bringing us to our knees of surrender. For in surrender we know and see you more clearly. Jesus, I give you my heart, make it pure. Help me to live for you. Help me bring glory to your name. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment