Thursday, February 16, 2017

Book of Matthew: Morning Moments with God, Day 24

Image result for Book of Matthew

Day 24: Judging Others

Please read today's Bible verses for the day:
Matthew 7: 1-6

Judging Others
“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."( Matthew 7:1-2)
I have a sister who was very judgmental. I grew up alongside her and sadly, I picked up her bad habit. For years I judged people, and made up an opinion of someone based solely on what I saw on the outside. Years ago, after reading this Scripture for the first time, I was so scared. I was going to be judged by the measure I used against others. My measuring stick was how a person looked or carried themselves, not their heart. I was really scared. I began looking in the mirror and realized that I'm not put together- I looked like a mess! How will people judge me? Will they see my heart or just see what I look like? It was very hard trying to always 'look' good so people wouldn't judge me. Not sure I succeeded. People judged me and walked right out of my life. I deserved it. I judged people for years and well, the judgment fell right on my front doorstep. I am glad to say that God has done a great work in my life. He has given me a love for His people and the lost. I'm not sayin' I'm perfect, but I will say, I've come a looooong way! 
“Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

How many times have I done this! Ugggh! I walk around feeling like a complete failure, head down-just like Charlie Brown, but then someone shares what they are struggling with and instead of sharing my heart of struggle I turn around and give advice! For years I hid my fears and failures from friends, but gave advice! I needed to be healed of my junk first and then, (if there truly is a then) share from my victories. God is calling us to focus on our heart, humble ourselves, repent, be healed and move closer to His heart. We can't truly help others if we are not close to the Father's heart. The love and grace from our relationship with Him will flow from us to others.
“Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces.

My husband is always telling me, "People do not want advice." But for years I had felt that with all that I had struggled through in my life, I had a heart of compassion and could help so many women and young moms. And with that, I will say that for most of the times I have shared my heart, my hubby is right and I am wrong. People do not want you to look at their life, see their dysfunction and have it pointed out to them. They don't want to hear how you came through something while they are still struggling. Thus, I've stopped giving advice, unless asked and even then I am leery. When I give advice it may seem like I'm perfect and have no worries or troubles of my own, it's not true, but that's how it comes across to people when you offer advice. I have been 'trampled on' and 'torn to pieces' in and out of the church for giving advice or sharing what I discern from Holy Spirit. My heart now is to serve and not fix. My heart is to stay in close step with Holy Spirit as to know when to open or shut my mouth. 

So, God is calling us to a) not judge others, b) focus on our own heart and allow God to bring healing and once you've done that, c) be careful how you share your stories of victories with others-there are those who do not want to know and will hurt you.

Pray with me: 
Father, thank you for your call, your reminder of how I live my life with others. Thank you, for as much as it stings to hear, that you desire pure motives to come from my heart. A heart of love for all people- not one of judgment and pointing fingers. Father, forgive me for the years of pain and hurt I have caused others due to my judgments. I pray you will bless them and heal their hearts from the pain I have caused. Lord, protect my heart from those who would desire to trample it. I pray for your discernment. I love you with all my heart, help me love others as you love them. In Jesus' name, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment