Monday, February 20, 2017

Morning Moments with God- Day 26

                           Image result for Book of Matthew

Day 26: "Enter..." You are Invited 
Please read the Bible verse for today:
Matthew 7: 13-14

The Narrow and Wide Gates

13 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.


Enter Sign with Choice of Arrow Direction - 30x24 Large Size is Good for Outdoor and Parking Lot Uses - Engineer Grad Reflective Heavy Gauge Aluminum Exit Sign from STOPSignaAndMore.com
First, I'd like to say, I love Jesus' invitation- "Enter through the narrow gate." On the road of life there is a sign, placed by Jesus, that reads, "Enter." He is calling us to enter. Enter and be with Him. Enter and find forgiveness, unconditional love and healing. His invitation is to enter,  but it is our decision to do it or not. It may be hard, it may even be scary, but His advice is to do it- "Enter the narrow gate." If you have ever taken advice from anyone you respect, admire, or deem wise, than you know to take the advice of Jesus. 
Image result for narrow gate










The above image is what I would envision whenever I thought of the 'narrow gate.' A wall with a slender door. I didn't know what was on the other side and it felt scary. It felt lonely. "...only a few find it." But I believe the true image is more like the picture below.

Image result for jesus is the bridge


I saw this picture for the first time when I was twenty-one years old. I had already 'chosen the narrow road,' but boy, how it all made sense. There is only one way to God the Father and that is through Jesus Christ. He IS the Savior of the world. He is the only way, the only truth, and the only life. If we accept Jesus, we will know God and have eternal life.

Image result for Enter sign

And just as there was an 'Enter' sign on the path, Jesus also places a 'DANGER- Do NOT Enter' sign.

Remember, we are invited to 'Enter' the narrow gate, but we can say no. We can go our own way. "For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it." (Matthew 7:14) We can choose the world. We can choose other religions. We can worship other gods. We can, but it will lead to destruction. It will lead to death, and not just physical death, but also eternal death.

Jesus doesn't make it very complicated: Enter here. Do not enter over there. He even tells us that many will go the wrong way, but to be mindful that, just because everyone you know is going down the wide path,  it doesn't make it right- it makes it sad.

We have a decision: Believe in Jesus, (small is the gate) or don't believe (the wide gate). What will you decide?

My last thought is...'narrow is the road that leads to life.' Once we 'Enter' the gate, are we walking on the narrow road? Are we walking down the path that God has for us or are we running to back to the exit, through the small gate and headed towards the wide road? Once we enter the small and narrow gate are we staying on the narrow path as well? God is calling us to follow Him and what He has for us. To live a righteous life, not one of lying, gossip, cheating, stealing, coveting, jealousy, slander, anger, addictions, adultery. The path is narrow.

Pray with me:
Father God, I am a sinner, and I ask you to forgive me. I believe your son, Christ Jesus died and then rose to live again so I might be forgiven. I now receive and confess him as my Lord and Savior. Come into my heart and be Lord of my life. I am answering your call to enter the narrow gate and to walk on the narrow path. Come Holy Spirit and guide me. In Jesus' name, Amen.

Father, I have walked through the narrow gate, but I am not walking the narrow path. Forgive me and help me to walk on the path you have for me. I want to live for you. I want to live in your freedom, and joy! I love you, Jesus. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment