Wednesday, February 1, 2017

The Book of Matthew: Morning Moments with God, Day 13

                           Image result for Book of Matthew

Day 13: Salt and Light

Please take time to read the verses for the day.
Matthew 5: 13 -16

“You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.
"You are the salt of the earth." (Matthew 5:14) 'I' am a part of that, "You are the salt of the earth" verse. That sounds like a huge responsibility to me.
In trying to understand why God would say, 'You are the salt of the earth' I did a little research. What is salt and what's so special about it that He would compare us to it? Well, Salt has value. People in Bible times used it to preserve their food. Having no refrigerators or freezers, salt was very important to the people. Salt was also used for trade. Salt had value. So, calling us, me- salt, tells us that God places value on us. 
People searched for salt. Towns were raised up around salt mines. I, you, are the salt of the earth. People are searching for what we have as Christians. People are seeking and searching for truth. We have it! Jesus said, "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through me." (John 14:6) We have what people in the world, the lost, are looking for. We have value in advancing the kingdom of heaven.

"But if the salt loses its saltiness..." Comparing us to the salt, how can we lose our saltiness? I believe we can lose it if we walk away from God. If we choose the things of the world. If we stop meeting daily with God. We choose to live half for God and have for the world, we lose our 'saltiness.' We lose what people of this world are searching for. They will find us, but we will not be able to help them. 
14 “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden.15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead, they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven."
I can't believe I am a part of this light. A pastor- yes. A missionary-yes. Me? Little, Italian momma from the north, moved to the south, raising six children, and loving my man- me? a light? I'm the light of the world hard to believe, huh? But that's what God says that I am. That's what He says YOU are too! If I am the light in this dark world and you are a light, I have one question: Are we shining brightly? Are we living a life surrendered to God? Are we seeking His will for our lives and living in obedience to it? This reminds me of a quote from the movie, "Mr. Hobbs takes a Vacation," starring Jimmy Stewart. He walks into their newly, rented beach house, finds the light and turns it on. The light did nothing. The light must have been less than a 40watt bulb because he starts making jokes about it and eventually doesn't call it a 'light,' he calls it a 'dark.' It was a light bulb, it's job was suppose to bring light to the room, it worked, but it didn't do it's job- it was a 'dark.' I know I don't want to be a Christian that is a 'dark,' I want to be a light to others. A place where people can come and know Jesus better.

Pray with me:
Heavenly Father, thank you for the reminder that I am the salt and light of the world. I know that I can be a salt and light only if you are living in my heart, and I am living in obedience to your Holy Spirit. Father, change in me all the things that make me a 'dark' and not a light. I want to shine brightly for this world. Help me to surrender the things in my life that are just like the world, and help me to live for you. In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment