Monday, February 6, 2017

The Book of Matthew: Morning Moments with God, Day 16

                             Image result for Book of Matthew

Day 16: Adultery, Lust, Surrender

Please take time to read the verses for the day.
Matthew 5: 27-32

Adultery
27 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29 If your right eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell.30 And if your right hand causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell.
27 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart. Jesus quotes the eighth, of the ten Commandments, found in Exodus 20, "You shall not commit adultery." When I think of the ten commandments I think about how some of them are easy to obey and some of them aren't. This one, "You shall not commit adultery," is one of the easy ones for me. And I would think that for most people it's not too hard to obey either. But Jesus takes our obedience up a notch-"But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart." First, why does Jesus take our obedience to another level? I believe for two reasons: 1-so we are more like Him, pure in every way, and 2) so we press into Him. Man can not do this without the Lord. 
Clearly, I am not a man, but I understand that this is a hard word to hear. And although I am not a man, being a woman I have been the recipient of men's lust. It is a horrible feeling. Speaking as a woman who has been sexually misused and abused, starting when a flasher cornered me when I was only nine years old, and ending with many other horrible sexual encounters in my teenage years. It has had a devastating effect on my life. I have been followed, harassed, leered at, and more. I have been frightened for my life and lived in fear for years because of the trauma I have endured. 

Allowing lust to grow in a person's life not only causes their own spiritual death, but spiritual death to another person. I would be a very different woman had I had the chance to be a little girl, pure and sweet and grow into a woman, untainted for my husband. We need to live our lives surrendered to God. To think pure. To live pure. To live in obedience to His Word. 
And if you think that challenge from Jesus was earth-shattering and rough or that Jesus wasn't serious, catch the next part of this Adultery section: "29 If your right eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell.30 And if your right hand causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell." Period. End quote. He calls us to die to self. Die to what causes us to sin. Die to what takes us from Him. Our sin separates us. His call is to get rid of any sin that entangles you, so you can be close with Him.
Divorce:
31 “It has been said, ‘Anyone who divorces his wife must give her a certificate of divorce.’ 32 But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, makes her the victim of adultery, and anyone who marries a divorced woman commits adultery. 

Pray with me:
Father, I forgive each man throughout my life that has abused me through their lust. I pray that men will hear your Word and obey. Strengthen them to stand strong and to live for you and be pure. In Jesus' name, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment