Thursday, January 26, 2017

The Book of Matthew:Morning Moments with God, Day 9

Image result for Book of Matthew


Day 9: Teach, Preach and Heal Me

Please take time to read the verses for the day.
Matthew 4:23-25

 "Jesus went throughout Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the good news of the kingdom, and healing every disease and sickness among the people." (Matthew 4:23) In reading, "Jesus went throughout Galilee" I thought to myself, why not Nazareth? Why not begin your ministry where you were raised, in a town that is comfortable to you? I'm just noticing that in Matthew 4:13 it reads, "Leaving Nazareth..." After Jesus' time of testing and hearing John the Baptist was in jail, Jesus left Nazareth. He left His home. He left His mother and brothers and sisters. He left His home town, His step-father's business, and all He knew as a human growing up in Nazareth. Once again we find that there is nothing that Jesus asks us to do, that He, Himself has not done too. He left everything of comfort in obedience to the Father. God the Father was calling Him to preach in Galilee, "the area of Zebulun and Naphtali-to fulfill what was said through the prophet Isaiah:" (Matthew 4:14) and He obeyed. He said goodbye to all He knew and set off on His own to travel to Galilee.

Once He arrived in Galilee He did three things: 1) 'Teaching in their synagogues, 2) 'preaching the good news' and 3) 'healing every disease and sickness among the people.'

1) I love that Jesus went from synagogue to synagogue and taught. Can you imagine Jesus walking into your church or synagogue and teaching the Word of God? He inspired the writings of the Bible. He IS the Word! "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning." (John 1:1-2) "The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us." (John 1:14) What an incredible teaching that must have been. Everything would have made sense. All the prophesy were made clear. All the stories coming together. Could you imagine a Bible study lesson with Jesus! How their minds must have been opened to new revelations. The Word became real and alive because the Word was among them! Jesus is with us today! We can experience the same revelations, the same excitement over the Word of God. Allow Him to speak to your heart about His Word. Invite Jesus to come into your church and teach the Word.

2) Preaching the Good News! I wonder what He preached. I wonder what He said. Come, and repent to me. No longer do you need to sacrifice an animal for the forgiveness of sins. I am here- GOD IN THE FLESH! Repent and be forgiven. That is not just good news- it's the best news! His words must have been freeing. His words filled with love and compassion. People were drawn to Him.

3) He healed every disease and sickness among the people! EVERY. Hang on that word for a little bit. Every. There was nothing too big for Him. Nothing too deadly. Nothing too small. Jesus healed every disease and sickness. Jesus healed cancer. Jesus healed tumors. Jesus healed headaches. Jesus healed depression. Jesus healed wounds. Jesus healed the lame, blind, deaf, mute, paralyzed. Jesus restored limbs and missing fingers and missing toes. Jesus healed tooth aches. Jesus healed limps, and muscle spasms. Jesus healed diabetes. "News about him spread all over Syria, and the people brought to him all who were ill with various diseases, those suffering severe pain, the demon-possessed , those having seizures and the paralyzed, and he healed them." (Matthew 4:24) You name it, Jesus healed it. He healed everything and He is the same Jesus we love today. Nothing has changed. Jesus can heal all of our diseases and sicknesses today. I believe it.

The last verse of the day: "Large crowds from Galilee, the Decapolis, Jerusalem, Judea and the region across the Jordan followed him." (Matthew 4:25) 'Large crowds.' I wonder how many. Jesus was in Galilee, but, "word about him spread all over Syria." (Matthew 4:24) which is North of Galilee and they traveled from Judea,' which is as far south as you can go! Look at a map, or find one in the back of your Bible. (I tried to post a picture of a map of the Holy Land in the time of Jesus, but it wouldn't let me post it). Word of Jesus spread all of the region and people traveled to see and meet Him. Back then traveling was no easy task. It could have taken these people days, or weeks to get to Jesus and then they had to travel back! Beloved, we don't have to travel outside our bedrooms to meet with Jesus. He is here. He is among us. He made a way for us to know Him through His death on the cross and resurrection life! He hears us and knows us. Come to Him. Travel to a quiet place and meet with Him. He is there waiting for you.

Pray with me:
Jesus, I come. I set all things aside. I am laying down my schedule, my to-do list, my worries, my fears, my sickness, my marriage, my children...I lay it all down to be in your presence. Come, Lord. Teach me, preach to me and heal me. I am your humble servant. I am clay in your hands. Mold me. Mold my day. Mold my life according to your glorious plan. I trust you Lord with my life. I am yours. I meet with you today to know you more. Touch my life and make me whole. I love you Jesus, my Lord and Savior. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment