Monday, January 30, 2017

Book of Matthew: Morning Moments with God, Day 11

                         Image result for Book of Matthew

Day 11: The Beatitudes

Matthew 5: 3-6
He said:
“Blessed are the poor in spirit,
    for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn,
    for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek,
    for they will inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
    for they will be filled.

I remember when my pastor gave a sermon on the Beatitudes, he began saying that the way the world sees things is very different than how the Lord sees things. I looked up synonyms for the word 'blessed' and found "favored, blissful, joyful, contented, lucky." So, in other words, the Scripture reads, 'Joyful are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.' My pastor said that the world would never think that you are blessed or could be joyful if you were poor in spirit, but with God we are. When you are poor in spirit or lacking in spirit and realize it, when you realize your need for a Savior you are blessed. When you receive Jesus as your Savior 'kingdom of heaven' is yours. 
"Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted." Here again, those who mourn over their own sin, those who realize what they have done and turn to God, they will be comforted. I remember my pastor saying, "Guilt isn't a bad thing." Guilt brings us to a place of mourning over what we have done and hopefully to a place on our knees in repentance. To mourn, to feel guilty is good. To repent is good. It then allows the Father to move in to bring us comfort. He removes the guilt through His forgiveness. 

"Blessed are the meek for they will inherit the earth." Merriam-Webster defines meek as, "enduring injury with patience and without resentment : mild."  The world would say to be meek is to be weak. I know that meekness was not revered in my family. You had to be strong, demanding, take-charge, basically bull-doze over anyone who got in your way. But God's way is so different. You can fight for what you believe, you can stand up for yourself in a meek manner. In calmness, and gentleness stand up for yourself. Trust that God is with you and allow His boldness to help you confront a situation or to stand up for what is right. 

"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled." I love this one so much! I love all the beatitudes, but this one makes it so real for today. I hunger and thirst after the things of God, and I will be filled! I will be satisfied in my desire to know the things of God and to know Him better. He will answer our cry to live a life of righteousness. 

Pray with me:
Father God, I pray that I would one who is poor in spirit, one who mourns over my sin, one who is meek and one who hungers and thirst for righteousness. Lord, keep me close to your heart. I humble myself to you and pray that I would hear your voice for my life and obey. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment