Wednesday, January 25, 2017

The Book of Matthew: Morning Moments with God, Day 8

Image result for Book of Matthew



Day 8: Come Follow Me

Please take time to read the verses for the day.
Matthew 4:18-22

"As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. "Come, follow me, Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men." At once they left their nets and followed him." (Matthew 4:18- 20) We know that from Matthew 4:17 Jesus had begun to preach repentance, but here He was not preaching, he was 'walking beside the Sea of Galilee' and he came upon Peter and Andrew. Was He alone or with a crowd? I don't know. Either way Peter and Andrew were working at their business, had their thoughts on their work and had just cast their net into the lake. Jesus came up to them and merely said, "Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men." and they stopped what they were doing, left their business, and followed Jesus at once. "Come, follow me" aren't the most persuasive words I've ever heard. Jesus didn't lay out a plan in front of them and say, 'We'll travel and you'll see miracles and you'll even learn how to heal people too!" He didn't say anything, except, "Come." What an invitation. I don't think I would have understood what it meant to be a "fisher of men" and yet they left everything and followed Jesus. Maybe they had heard Him preach or maybe it was in their heart to hear more, but to leave everything to follow Jesus, that's huge. So, what does that say about Jesus? He is so wonderful, so beautiful, so God, that they didn't need to question Him, they just wanted more of Him. They wanted to be with Him, and be near Him.

"Going on from there, he saw two other brothers, James son of Zebedee and his brother John. They were in a boat with their father Zebedee, preparing their nets. Jesus called them, and immediately they left the boat and their father and followed him."  (Matthew 4:21-22) Jesus continued to walk and saw James and John with their dad in their boat and called to them to follow Him and immediately, they not only left their boat, their business, but their dad too and followed Jesus. What Jesus called out to them is not written- but I'm thinking it had to be, "Come, follow me." Simple. Jesus is not complicated. He's open and honest, nothing hidden. "Come, follow me," that's the offer and that's what they did. As a child I would have jumped up and followed Jesus, but as an adult, I'd wonder. I'd question Him: 'How will I make a living? What is this all about? How long do you want me to follow you?' I'd have many questions- or so I think. That is why we are called to have childlike faith. To trust. I honestly don't think that anything could possibly compare to hearing the words, "Come." They are the words we hear as a father holds out his hands to his child. The child runs and grabs a hold of him. Why? Because their is a trust in the word Come- 'Come, I know what's best.' We can trust those words. 'Come, I have a good plan- trust me.' Jesus chose them and He said, "Come," how could you say, No?

Pray with me:
Jesus, I hear you calling my name, "Come, and follow me." Each day you are calling me to, "Come." Come and be close to me. Come and know my heart. Come and be refreshed. Come and be forgiven. Come and find hope. Come to me and find rest. Jesus, I answer your calling- I am here. Come and fill me with your Holy Spirit. I want more of you. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment