Monday, January 16, 2017

The Book of Matthew: Morning Moments with God, Day 1

Image result for Book of Matthew

Day 1--To Dream HIS Dream--Matthew 1: 20-25

"But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, "Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins. All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet: The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son and they will call him Immanuel-which means, "God with us."
      When Joseph woke up, he did what the angel of the Lord had commanded him and took Mary home as his wife. But he had no union with her until she gave birth to a son. And he gave him the name Jesus."

There are two parts of this Scripture that spoke to me: 

1. After I read, "...the Lord appeared to him in a dream..." I thought, "Lord, would you talk to me in a dream? Would you tell me exactly what I don't know and show me what I need to see before I go and do something stupid?" How nice would that be! Joseph was going to divorce Mary, but with a dream from the Lord, showing him the truth about Mary, he married her. Having a dream from God showed him quickly what he needed to do. I wish life could be that easy.

A few years ago I was so hurt by a friend, that, sadly, I just gave up. I had, had it. I remember feeling, "That was the last straw! I'm done with being hurt and misunderstood!" I gave up meeting with the Lord in the morning. I began over-eating. I simply gave up. I couldn't take the hurt any more. I stopped doing everything that brought me joy -which were: Reading the Word of God, working out, getting together with friends. I was so hurt that I lost hope.

How I wish an angel had appeared to me in a dream and said, "It'll be okay. Here's why this hurts so bad. Allow the Lord to touch and heal the pain." Life would have been so much easier and so much better and I wouldn't have given up!

The other part of this Scripture that I find so amazing is Joseph didn't question his dream. "He woke up, he did what the angel of the Lord had commanded him and took Mary home as his wife." He didn't say, "Wow, that was some dream! How weird is that!" and ignore it. He didn't say to God, "Could you give me one more dream, so I know it's from you?" He believed it was the Lord and quickly obeyed.- I have to say, I'm impressed.

I wonder if the Lord had shown up in my dream if I would have been too critical to believe and obey. It certainly didn't help matters that I had stopped meeting with Him.

The Lord knew Joseph couldn't divorce Mary. Joseph needed to hear from Him as soon as possible and it had to be clear. I know I don't need that- I'd like a dream from God, but I don't need one. Through the Holy Spirit, God speaks to me. Joseph didn't have the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit came after Jesus ascended up into heaven. Holy Spirit was the promise from Jesus of the One He would send as 'The Comforter.'

Holy Spirit does speak to me and sometimes I'm listening and sometimes I'm not. But God is always wanting to talk with us and guide us. It's a matter of quieting ourselves, almost like we were sleeping, and listen for Him. Yes, it would be easy if God always showed us which way to go, but then it doesn't allow for the love to flourish in the relationship. I needed to pull away, fall, and look for God again. I needed to see that HE is my HOPE and now my faith is stronger for it.


Lord, forgive me for running away from you, when I should have run to you. Forgive me for closing up my life and barricading myself away from you. You are so completely amazing! You stayed with me through all that crying and pain and spoke to me and set me free. It wasn't in a dream, but you met with me and set me free daily. Help me to be open to hearing your voice in a dream or in the day time and help me to quickly obey. I love you with my whole heart!

For more on, "The Book of Matthew: Daily Insights," go to 'God Stories' and scroll allll the way down! There you will find each days readings from the Book of Matthew. You can use it as your daily devotion time with God.


No comments:

Post a Comment